Menu

What do you count as a homeschooling expense?

airforcefamily

I've asked a lot of people this question and I'm always fascinated with the responses. Some people say "we homeschool all the kids on $100 a year" then they give a laundry list of all the things they don't count. Others claim to need $2000 per year per child but they count the cost of the computer they would have anyway, internet service, heat for the house during the day when the mom would still stay home if the kids were in school, gas to drive to the grocery store because they were learning about vegetables while shopping, etc.

Our family is somewhere in the middle.

What I don't count:

books for leisure reading (we don't have a good library)

basic art supplies like crayons that are not part of our art curriculum

computers, printer, internet service

the cost of 'field trips' that we would have gone on anyway

extra utility costs, we would be at home all day anyway

the cost of non curriculum science experiments, we did them back when the kids were in school just for fun

gas unless we're taking a long trip that I know we wouldn't have gone on otherwise

What I do count:

school supplies (pencils, paper, etc.)

curriculum art and science supplies

curriculum and related books

reference books

educational software

math and other manipulatives

craft supplies related to our curriculum

the difference between a single trip and a membership when we otherwise would have only gone once a year

I've asked a lot of people this question and I'm always fascinated with the responses. Some people say "we homeschool all the kids on $100 a year" then they give a laundry list of all the things they don't count. Others claim to need $2000 per year per child but they count the cost of the computer they would have anyway, internet service, heat for the house during the day when the mom would still stay home if the kids were in school, gas to drive to the grocery store because they were learning about vegetables while shopping, etc.

Our family is somewhere in the middle.

What I don't count:

books for leisure reading (we don't have a good library)

basic art supplies like crayons that are not part of our art curriculum

computers, printer, internet service

the cost of 'field trips' that we would have gone on anyway

extra utility costs, we would be at home all day anyway

the cost of non curriculum science experiments, we did them back when the kids were in school just for fun

gas unless we're taking a long trip that I know we wouldn't have gone on otherwise

What I do count:

school supplies (pencils, paper, etc.)

curriculum art and science supplies

curriculum and related books

reference books

educational software

math and other manipulatives

craft supplies related to our curriculum

the difference between a single trip and a membership when we otherwise would have only gone once a year

What I count when making the budget:

Extracurriculars (1 per season per kid - summer, fall, spring; also homeschool PE class and music lessons)

Field trips (3 per year of what I consider 'real' field trips - museums, etc. A trip to the apple orchard or pumpkin patch doesn't count as a field trip. Most field trips are places we would go anyway, but it's nice to know in advance that I'll have the money there when the time comes.)

school supplies - including art, etc

curriculum

supplementals

books related to the topics we study (assigned each week)

homeschool convention - registration, hotel, food (I am the only family member who goes, so this isn't all that outrageous), as well as what I buy there (obviously)

state homeschool organization membership

What I usually end up spending it on:

school supplies - including art, etc

curriculum

supplementals

books related to the topics

homeschool convention

homeschool organization membership

and whatever comes my way that I inevitably end up transferring money to our regular checking acct for. :D

So as you can see, I have not yet managed to actually use the money for extracurriculars or field trips to speak of. :) That's the goal, though.

We've still gone on all the field trips. I still would have liked to just have the money sitting there though, rather than have to take it out of our regular home budget.

Our budget is $2000/year right now. Not sure what it will move to in coming years, when Pink starts school and the boys get older.

ETA: I forgot, I also may buy printer ink with it, but not all the time. And I bought the laminator because I wouldn't have bought one otherwise.

Edited by PeacefulChaos