Menu

The Keystone School

Ohdanigirl

Has any one's dc done German through Keystone? I know about OSU, and have read what others have to say, but I have also heard that it fills up very fast. DS would really like to begin studying German, and online is likely the only way we will be doing it.

thanks.

Danielle

Why not use Rosetta Stone? German is similAr in its construction to English so a lot if learning German is easy as compared to other languages. I would think there wouldn't be too many road bumps.

I am a little scared of Rosetta, because I have seen so many negative reviews of it. Also, ds wants to shoot for as much fluency as possible. He would like to be able to speak, read, and write it. I am not sure Rosetta could do that.

I have no knowledge of German, and was thinking it best to just find an online version. A tutor is not an option at the moment.

Danielle

I like Rosetta Stone, but I'm baffled at the progression and presentation of Spanish for Children Primer A. I think I'm going to sell it. It doesn't seem to go with ds or my learning or teaching styles.

Why not try out Spanish Homeschool Academy? I think I may gift that to ds9 for Christmas.

Well I can understand your fear, since Rosetta stone is so expensive!

But as a homeschool mom using Rosetta stone, I can attest to its effectiveness. In fact the negative reviews surprised me. I think there are several main reasons people might fail when using R'S:

1. They assume that because it is fun and interactive, it requires no work. The fact is, one must still work hard.

If your student paces himself slowly, speaks his pronunciation aloud, and doesn't move on until each section is mastered at 90%, then it really sinks in!

Also, there is a workbook which must be competed and vocabulary words which should be studied. It's not always essential to make flashcards but we have found it helpful. as for learning to write the language, there is some practice with that but not much.

I can't imagine a better way to learn other than a private tutor.