Menu

Is LLATL workbook heavy?

Marie131

Hmmm...I've only had experience with LLATL for about two days, but I'd say it's more workbook heavy than workbook light. Not terribly so, though. Each week is divided into 5 lessons and each lesson has several workbook pages. But, I think you could easily skip parts of it for your workbook hater. We are trying to zip through Red quickly and then on into Yellow. Both the Red and Yellow student workbooks are over 370 pages. So far it's a hit for us and I just love it.

Medium weight, eh? :tongue_smilie:

After looking at more samples, I think it will work better for my younger guy than my older guy.

Is red appropriate for first grade or is blue better? He's only just started K, so not reading much yet, but I expect he'll be reading by the end of the year.

Medium weight, eh? :tongue_smilie:

After looking at more samples, I think it will work better for my younger guy than my older guy.

Is red appropriate for first grade or is blue better? He's only just started K, so not reading much yet, but I expect he'll be reading by the end of the year.

Well, I'm no expert....but Red right away (lesson 1) discusses compound words, antonyms, "when two vowels go walking, the first usually does the talking and says his long name", blend words (ch, sh, pl, etc).

Looking ahead to lesson 18....ou in out, ou in court, ou in young, word box words: house, double, cloud, country, etc, subject/predicate, quotation marks.

I'm actually using Red with an almost 9 year old who can read quite well...but she's missed a lot of these phonics and grammar rules that is needed before starting Yellow.

I believe Blue is first grade and Red is 2nd. I'm thinking you should begin with Blue.

I forgot to mention that there are LLATL placement tests, in case you didn't know.

AprilMay, I see you are also using LOE. I was thinking of this one for my older ds. Are you using LLATL and LOE w/ the same child?

Yes, I'm using both with my dd. I'm mostly using LoE for spelling and cursive. We just had our first lesson yesterday and she absolutely loved it (probably due to the fact that the first lesson begins with a card game called Dragon). The entire time she was doing her workbook pages in LoE she kept saying, "I just love this Logic of English!" "I love cursive now!" ( she hated cursive last year).

Edited by ~AprilMay~