Menu

Do Virtual Biology Labs count on transcripts?

I'm sorry-I tried to search this question with no luck...

My dd is using Science Shepherd Bio. I am now purchasing the D.I.V.E. to go with it. We planned on only doing the Virtual Labs that SS offers, or maybe the D.I.V.E. ones...Then I spoke with a consultant at RR, and she said dd would need to do a *hands- on* to be able to count it as a lab.:confused:

Any input welcome. Thank you!

My understanding is that universities want students to have experience doing hands-on real labs. Harvard says: "...scientists perform experiments, make measurements, and develop theories to explain and predict the phenomena they observe. Such experiments and observations are the essence of science and are a critical part of secondary school as well as college science education."

http://www.admissions.college.harvard.edu/apply/preparing/index.html#science

There are a zillion possible labs for biology. You could do a whole lot without a microscope, it will just change what labs skills you develop and what areas you concentrate on in your bio course. Also, microscopes are not all that expensive if you go with a low end one. Have fun planning! :)

I think back to my all-girls college prep high school. My lab partners would not touch the fetal pig. I did everything. They observed and filled out the lab report. They still earned credit. I think it is better to actually do the hands on part but observing still counts. There are virtual labs, you tube videos and BJU sells a dissection DVD.

No matter what way you go, make sure your kids are doing lab reports. Formatted nicely, typed looks the best. If you decide to go the non-hands-on labs I would consider adding some drawing into your lab reports, it can add detail and can look better. You can scan them in and place them in the part of the lab report you want or add them them at the end referencing them in the lab report.

You may want to also consider doing a different type of lab report for each high-school science class. One style for biology and a different style for chemistry.

Then I spoke with a consultant at RR, and she said dd would need to do a *hands- on* to be able to count it as a lab.:confused:

Hmm. I can only say that ds16 is taking Biology at CC this semester. He is taking an online lab (the only lab that would not interfere with school and basketball). It will count as a lab course.

My lab partners would not touch the fetal pig.

I think I would have been ill. The last science class I ever took was HS Biology. We had to kill our frogs before we dissected them. Mine would not die...I am not upset AT ALL that ds has an online lab. Frankly, I would have allowed him to avoid Biology altogether had there been another lab course at CC, besides Chemistry which we tried for first, that didn't interfere with school or basketball.