Menu

Online education?

Guest samprince2281

Guest samprince2281

I am interested in furthering my education and looking into taking something online, since I am a stay at home mom it seems about the best way for me to go about getting a degree. However does anyone know if employers look at online degrees the same way they do as a degree attained at an actual college, and what online colleges are crediable.

Hello: I suggest that you begin reading some basic information in the Distance Learning area of About.com Here is a link:

http://distancelearn.about.com/od/onlinecourses/tp/Online-College-Profiles.htm

My belief is that a degree earned online, from a reputable university (Texas Tech University for one example) will be recognized by potential employers.

I do not know whether or not that it will say that it was earned "online" or not. If that is important to you, check that out with any schools you are interested in!

Distance Learning shows that someone can work independently and is self motivated. Those are big pluses, with potential employers. GL

It really depends on the field; for example, if you were going into nursing, getting a BA at an accredited for profit school probably wouldn't hurt. However, if you were going into teaching at the college level, getting an online degree might not be as favorably viewed. My understanding is that the stigma of online education is slowly changing, especially as traditional schools like Penn State or Stanford are getting themselves involved. There are "for profits" who have online degrees and then there are traditional schools that have an online arm. Either are decent options but again it depends on the degree and the school. As mentioned before, you want to make sure the school is accredited by one of the regional accrediting bodies like SACS or Middle States; otherwise, credits wouldn't transfer to other accredited schools and the degree wouldn't count toward MA work later on.

I used to teach at the traditional university; now I teach almost completely online (which works better for my wife and family), so I can let you know what I know about specific schools and programs if you ever needed help.