Menu

ideas welcome

gracesteacher

When teaching a co op class that the child does not want to be a part of but the parent is insistent that they be a part of the class and does threaten discipline if they misbehave how do you get them be less negative so that the other kids don't enjoy the snide remarks they are making either out loud or under their breathe so they continue to enjoy learning about what ever the given subject is.

There is active learning where there is getting up and doing and they complain they want to sit down. When there is sit down work they rather not do that. They pretty much just want to be in control of their day.

We have two in our class this year who the helper in the class has to pretty much make them "focus" and say appropriate things when we rather not seem so strict and suck the love of learning. If they would just give it a chance they really may enjoy it.

They are boys 10-13

I would tell the Mom that I was willing to meet with the boys privately to teach them how to behave in class. Maybe they just don't understand how to act around others in a class setting. I would go through all the elements of class time with them without the other students, modeling and coaching every little aspect of the experience.

If the parents would actually take me up on this, I would do it very sincerely, kindly, and firmly. Mary Poppins' Class of Co-op Behavior. The boys would understand that their return would be on my approval.

If they would then try, they may come to class. Perfection would not be required, but an obvious attempt for the better would be. If they refuse to try, or Mom doesn't think they should have to learn the standards or follow them, then I wouldn't really care about her insistence to put them in the class. They would not be allowed.

Why do we homeschool? Is not one of the reasons so that children can actually learn without so much distraction? Is it not to have some control over their learning environment so they aren't just miserably wasting their time? Why throw all the benefits of homeschooling away, just to let a Queen Bee and her little misbehaving darling ruin the co-op for everyone? Have them shape up or ship out.

Tell the parent the child misbehaved and was uncooperative so the parent needs to follow through on the threat of discipline. The ball should be in the parent's court; it's her responsibility, not yours, but the rest of the class shouldn't be pulled down by his bad attitude and disrespect.

As far as dealing with it in the middle of class, perhaps you could move him to the back corner of the room if he displays a bad attitude. Then he wouldn't be getting the peer feedback or attention. He might be wanting to be the cool kid by grumbling and being disrespectful.