Menu

How does Linked in...

LNC

determine 'people you may know'? My husband let his lapse after signing up. He went on to update it and it linked to about 40 'people you may know'. They were all people we really did know - old college friends, friends who moved away, old business clients etc. He doesn't have contacts and hasn't googled any of them. Does that mean these are people who looked at his profile? The internet is so wierd...

I don't know exactly but it could be pulling from your e-mail list on your computer, facebook contacts, people that your connections may be linked to, places that you have worked as you have listed in your profile, etc. It is scary how much the internet knows about us.

we don't have facebook accounts, he hasn't accepted linked in connections yet, and none of these people are in our email contact list either. The only thing I could think was they clicked on his profile bc we did know them...

The People You May Know feature identifies existing members on LinkedIn that you might know based on:

Commonalities between you and other members (e.g. same company, industry or school), and making a prediction of likelihood (based on an algorithm) that you know that person.

Members in your Imported Contacts list - This list is updated when you download contacts from other email address books using the Add Connections feature.

Even if your DH didn't allow LinkedIn to import contacts from his email address book yet, it would still suggest potential connections to him if his email address showed up in other members' imported contact lists. Given that he hadn't provided much info yet, I would assume that this is probably what is generating the suggestions.

He did enter his college - but it is a huge school. It only suggested our roommates and bridesmaids/groomsmen. :) Most of the others are friends who have moved on from our church or moved away. Some older clients but not connected with his employer...

He doesn't even know any of their email addresses. We only have the closer friends' mailing addresses that aren't stored in our computer - just an old fashioned paper address book. Wierd.

Edited by LNC