Menu

Writing with Skill? When to start?

Mrs.Gregg

Current writing program IEW Student intensive A (she is finding this rather easy as she took a workshop with IEW last year in 4th). Just picked up IEW writing for US history 1 and 2 to suplement IEW student intensive A. Then I came across Writing with Skill and I'm wondering if we should move on to that and at what point? Use it in conjunction with IEW A or inplace of doing IEW B.

Her younger sister does FLL 1 and WWE1 and I am very impressed with the results we are having. I did have my 5th grader take the WWE4 assessment and she passed so her using that book really isn't needed.

Current writing program IEW Student intensive A (she is finding this rather easy as she took a workshop with IEW last year in 4th). Just picked up IEW writing for US history 1 and 2 to suplement IEW student intensive A. Then I came across Writing with Skill and I'm wondering if we should move on to that and at what point? Use it in conjunction with IEW A or inplace of doing IEW B.

Her younger sister does FLL 1 and WWE1 and I am very impressed with the results we are having. I did have my 5th grader take the WWE4 assessment and she passed so her using that book really isn't needed.

If your 5th grader passed the WWE 4 assessment, she can start WWS any time.

I personally wouldn't use another writing program with it, but I know some people do. It is very thorough, esp. as you get into the later weeks.

Did she complete all the units in the IEW workshop? What unit is she working on currently in the SWI-A? I ask because once you get to the units in which the student is taking notes on several resources and combining them into fused outlines (essays and super essays), and adding in all the dress-ups, sentence openers, and stylistic techniques it is quite challenging.

If she has completed all the units in IEW and is still un-challenged and is fluent in the skills it teaches then I would say definitely try out WWS. You can certainly continue to give assignments in history and science using what she has learned in IEW, but I don't think WWS NEEDS supplementation for the average student.

If your 5th grader passed the WWE 4 assessment, she can start WWS any time.

I personally wouldn't use another writing program with it, but I know some people do. It is very thorough, esp. as you get into the later weeks.

:iagree: We do use Paragraph Town as well, but that's not really a "writing program" in the same sense that WWS is. It complements it nicely, and gives a lot of details about things like types of paragraphs and topic sentences.