Menu

Algebra 2- HELP!!

Help! My daughter is 15 and has chronic fatigue syndrome, which is why she's out of private school and now at home. I bought her Foerster's Algebra 2/Trig and we are not off to a promising start. My daughter is very bright and wants to be an aeronautical or mechanical engineer, so math matters, but CFS comes with a bit of cognitive issues, where it's hard for her when she's in a flare to work things out in her mind. I think Foerster's, which she would probably do well with ordinarily, is too much now that the CFS has flared up again. Can you recommend a course of action for us? Should I just slow down Foerster's and wait for the CFS flare to pass, or should, I get an easier program? And which program would that be? She is enjoying the SOS Spanish program, is that just way too easy for Algebra 2? Also, she used Saxon from 1-8th grades, but I'm worried it might be too dry. Dry=bored=zoned out not learning. Thanks so much for any help you can give!! I can feel time ticking as we are getting more and more behind. Arrrgh!

Help! My daughter is 15 and has chronic fatigue syndrome, which is why she's out of private school and now at home. I bought her Foerster's Algebra 2/Trig and we are not off to a promising start. My daughter is very bright and wants to be an aeronautical or mechanical engineer, so math matters, but CFS comes with a bit of cognitive issues, where it's hard for her when she's in a flare to work things out in her mind. I think Foerster's, which she would probably do well with ordinarily, is too much now that the CFS has flared up again. Can you recommend a course of action for us? Should I just slow down Foerster's and wait for the CFS flare to pass, or should, I get an easier program? And which program would that be? She is enjoying the SOS Spanish program, is that just way too easy for Algebra 2? Also, she used Saxon from 1-8th grades, but I'm worried it might be too dry. Dry=bored=zoned out not learning. Thanks so much for any help you can give!! I can feel time ticking as we are getting more and more behind. Arrrgh!

I don't feel very qualified to answer this about the CFS since I've not had a problem like that, but I can give a couple of Algebra 2 suggestions that have been successful with us. My 3rd son struggled(s) with academics and has a slight learning disability. He did very well with Algebra 1: A Fresh Approach. Singapore was too rigorous, MUS was too boring/slow. A Fresh Approach worked very well. He transitioned easily at that point back into Singapore Discovering Mathematics along with his brother. Depending on your daughter's 'drive' Singapore might be more interesting than Foresters and you might look at the Algebra 2: A Fresh Approach (you can read a review of it on the Rainbow Resource website).

My son is just about done with MUS Alg 2 and we haven't found it too boring or slow at all ;). The nice thing about MUS is it is mastery, so if your student is understanding the new oncept quickly, you can move more quickly by doing only a few of the worksheets and then taking the test to move ahead. MUS also doesn't throw too much at a student at one time, so might help with 'muddled' head days---although there is plenty of review of past concepts.