Menu

Dr. Hive: Female help please (may be TMI)

I have a vaginal infection. I already tested it and it is bacterial in origin. In other words not yeast and therefore I need a prescription. I called my dr. to ask him to call me in a prescription. He usually does this no problem. Unfortunately, he left for the three day weekend this afternoon and will not be back until Monday. He has a solo practice so no other dr. available and his nurse can't right prescriptions. From almost everything I have read in my research I need an anti-biotic. I have an entire prescription of cephalexin from another problem that I did not use. Will this work? IF not is there anything else that will relieve the symptoms until Monday.

No, the Cephalexin will not work. You are going to need something like Clindamycin, Flagyl, or Doxycycline. Is there any way you could go to an urgent care or something like that? Who did the test? Would that doctor be willing to give your a script? I'm afraid you are going to be miserable by Monday if you don't get treatment! I wish I knew some alternatives to get you through until then, but I don't. Maybe someone else can chime in with suggestions. :grouphug:

No, the Cephalexin will not work. You are going to need something like Clindamycin, Flagyl, or Doxycycline. Is there any way you could go to an urgent care or something like that? Who did the test? Would that doctor be willing to give your a script? I'm afraid you are going to be miserable by Monday if you don't get treatment! I wish I knew some alternatives to get you through until then, but I don't. Maybe someone else can chime in with suggestions. :grouphug:

I used one of those store bought kits to verify that it was not yeast. Urgent care will not treat anything that requires you to remove your clothes, especially one that requires an internal exam. Based on symptoms for trichomoniasis, I can rule it out. I am also quite positive it is not an STD. I get these about every six months. The only other dr. I have is my pdoc and while technically she could write the prescription I don't think she would. I have tried home remedies in the past but I have never found one that worked.