Menu

latin course for 11 yr old and 9 yr old

pjssully

Hi-- I have heard so much about teaching latin so i thought we should try this year. But i don't even know where to start in picking out a program. Could people give me a brief summary of what they use and how it has worked for them. Also, if there is one curriculum that stands out amoung them all.

thanks for any feedback

pam

We are using Prima Latina now. My kids are about to turn 8 and 5. I think that if they were your kids' ages I would be using the next level up, which is called Latina Christiana.

One thing I like about it is that the lessons are also available on DVD, so we have a latin teacher on TV. The workbook exercises are short and simple but help them cover the material. The teacher's guide has been helpful to me as well.

This program is easy to use *if* you use it with the DVD's. The teacher on the DVD's explains everything! The lesson starts with the chants that your dc can do with other "students" . As she teach's, you can pause to fill in worksheets then she fills them in with you. (not every worksheet though)

Some of the goals of LP1 is at the end year are (taken form the LP1 TM)

1. pronounce latin letters and words

2. student will know around 350 latin words,

3. will know the definition of and how to spot a derivative.

4. know how to use 1st and 2nd declensions of nouns and contjugations of 1st and 2nd verbs.

5. to memorize beginning Latin paradigms in chants

6. to be exposed to Latin quotes and expressions

7. know how to do simple translations.

8. and to acquire some knowledge of Roman history

If you choose not to use the DVD's you will have to study ahead as it is teacher intensive. IMHO

I am using Prima Latina with my 10 and 8yr old daughters. It works really well and I think it prepares them for the LC1 and LC2 much better. I know that we could of went with Latina Christiana with both of my girls but starting with PL has given them tons of confidence that I think they will be able to go right into LC1 with no problems at all. Of course they have the DVD program and I think this really completes the program. I know there are some families that follow the program with just the student book and CD's but we're not one of them. The DVD's seem to fill a void and makes the program more interesting for both my daughters and I.

I think all of the materials, the student workbook , teacher manual and DVD's are all very helpful as the teacher's guide has the tests for every 5 lessons that are learned to copy.

So far we are happy with this program.

I also have Song School Latin which is great for younger children I would say for grades K-2nd grade.

Here's a link to an incredibly helpful site of reviews of Latin curricula (reviews compiled here on WTM boards):

http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/latincurricula.htm

The programs most applicable to you are probably:

Latin for Children - you could keep kiddos together

Latina Christiana - ditto

Latin Primer - ditto above, but a very dry program, mostly memorizing vocabulary

Lively Latin - would be ideal for your 9yo

Latin Prep - would be ideal for your 11yo