Menu

Any azalea bush experts?

Any azalea bush experts out there? If more branches are dead than living, is it worth trying to save the bush? These are an evergreen variety and I don't know why the branches have died. The leaves just turned brown and eventually the branches died. It could have been due to the number of moles we've had in the gardens, I guess. It seems like it would be easier to just pull them all out and start over :/

Poor bush. So many potential problems with it. Have you looked for insects? Kept it watered and fed? Only pruned after it has flowered? I would trim only branches that I was certain were dead, and also consider carefully digging it up with a large root ball and relocating to a less mole-infested location. :D Fertilize with acid loving plant food. I'm sure your azalea would love you for trying to save him. :001_smile:

Poor bush. So many potential problems with it. Have you looked for insects? Kept it watered and fed? Only pruned after it has flowered? I would trim only branches that I was certain were dead, and also consider carefully digging it up with a large root ball and relocating to a less mole-infested location. :D Fertilize with acid loving plant food. I'm sure your azalea would love you for trying to save him. :001_smile:

We have had a horribly hot, dry summer. I have tried to keep them watered and fed, but the heat has been intolerable for many of the plants - even in the shade. I cannot see any insects, but a couple of years ago I had a problem with...oh, I can't remember what it was called...but it started on the back side of the leaves and were little brown spots. The leaves died, but the plants survived (I sprayed that year and the next). I had a deciduous azalea in the same bed die suddenly last year and one of the evergreen plants (on the end of the row) completely died as well (I pulled that out this spring when it didn't begin to bud). I have 4 plants left - one really only has one large branch left that isn't dead, but the others are a bit better. The azaleas in the other bed (separated by a wide walkway) are doing fine. They had the disease the others had a couple of years ago, but recovered well.

My gardening experts (dh and ds) say heat, drought, clay soil would kill them. When we lived in Texas, you had to dig out the clay, and replace with peat for them to do well. Dh says if you are near Tulsa, then there is better soil, less clay. You could cut them back and see if they come back, or replace if they are small, but if you don't find out why they died, the new ones will die too.

Proper care for azaleas is 1) you can't keep them soggy, they need good drainage 2) but they do need water 3) ph has to be low (acidic)

There are a lot of azaleas here, and they looked bad during the drought, but most of them came back.

ADDING: just read your second post, dh says try spraying a fungicide on them

Edited by Susan C.

Update:

I was outside trimming out the dead branches and I tugged on one a little too hard. The whole plant came up! The roots aren't more than 2 inches! It looks like something is killing them from the roots...is that possible? These bushes are about 5 ft in diameter and about 3-4 ft tall (depending on the branch).