Menu

Movement Games for Ages 3-5ish

I am considering hosting a "movement" class for boys in this age range for our local co-op. I find that my son is not quite ready for things like organized sports but wants to be involved in something. My thought is to do a 30 minute game with them and then just let them have free play with balls and such. I need some ideas as to what sort of games we could play.

So, you're looking for group games that involve movement, but not full-blown sports, right?

Things that come to mind are:

Duck Duck Goose

Red Light Green Light

Mother May I

What Time Is It Mr./Mrs. Fox

You could also make up some fun relay races or obstacle courses, even indoors. The kids did a fun relay at a homeschool park get-together where they sat cross-legged one behind the other and had to pass a ball over their head to the person behind until the ball got to the end of the line, then that person ran forward to the front of the line and sat down there, so the line slowly "crawled" forward.

Movement combined with directions like the Hokey Pokey or Simon Says could also work.

Sounds like a fun class!

Erica in OR