Menu

Any other story-based learners like this?

My DD learns very, very well through stories. She remembers so much and even picks up little new facts from each and every story we read. She learned that stars are balls of gas from listening to The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

So, I thought we should add some more story-based learning to our repertouire. We started with Life of Fred last year and added in some Sentence Family this year. She likes them just okay. As soon as she realizes that this is education disguised as a story, she begins to fidget and tune out. It was funny today because I'll start the story, and she'll be really into it, and then as soon as she learns that the character is named Mr. Declarative she immediately deflates and loses interest.

My DS7 also learns really well through stories. The City Creek Press math materials have worked wonders for him. He has visual processing issues, but is an excellent audio processor, so we do lots of audio books and any type of audio story based learning I can find. The stories give the information context, so it is easier for him to remember as opposed to rote memorization.

Great to know we aren't the only ones.

It's also so very hard to put "emotion" into words some times. I wasn't posting this as a complaint or to ask for advice, so much as a funny anecdote. I had to laugh today at her response to my Mr. Declarative story.

We do read a lot of great books together and she listens to them all the time on audio as well. And I appreciate your words of wisdom. My DD isn't the only one learning on this homeschooling adventure :001_smile:

My DD learns very, very well through stories. She remembers so much and even picks up little new facts from each and every story we read. She learned that stars are balls of gas from listening to The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

So, I thought we should add some more story-based learning to our repertouire. We started with Life of Fred last year and added in some Sentence Family this year. She likes them just okay. As soon as she realizes that this is education disguised as a story, she begins to fidget and tune out. It was funny today because I'll start the story, and she'll be really into it, and then as soon as she learns that the character is named Mr. Declarative she immediately deflates and loses interest.

Are you looking for ideas? I wasn't sure from your post, but anyway --

-- Sir Cumference books for math

-- Holling C. Holling books for geography

Plus all the more obvious choices such as Dear America series, etc

yllek,

Yes, I have read DA. And, yes, the N-strength chapter resonated with me the most. I think I need to go back and reread it though to see if anything new strikes me. My DD has a lot of similarities with your DS with regards to working memory and language. I always take notes from your posts.

And, of course, suggestions for stories that were a hit with other kids are always welcome. I was looking at the Sir Cumference books just yesterday but wasn't sure if they would work well. The play on names is something that could easily go over my DD's head. She isn't very good with riddles and jokes either because she doesn't understand the play on words well. If anybody has experienced otherwise, please let me know.

I agree whole-heartedly. Unit studies were a flop here as well. They always felt forced, like I was trying to pull the information out of our stories FOR my DD, instead of her connecting with the story on her own.

My DD has to really connect with a story to gain anything from it. While listening, she appears to have a movie of it playing in her mind. She does the same thing with movies as well. She remembers the details of characters facial expressions, what they are doing, etc. We will be listening to the soundtrack of the movie later, and she is able to tell me exactly what is happening during that part down to acting it out and saying the lines. For a child with memory issues, it just blows my mind sometimes.

So far, she mainly just connects with our read-alouds. She connects with books she reads as well, but on a much smaller scale. I think that her efforts go more into decoding than listening then. She has taken a lot of tidbits from The Chronicles of Narnia stories and nearly has The Tales of Despereaux memorized. I am trying to add in a lot of historical fiction this year as well, hoping that there are connections made. Any books that have been a big hit at your home?