Menu

Please help me with choices!!

honeymommy4

We are doing school 4 days a week and only doing math because I haven't narowed down what my 3rd grader will use this year. :willy_nilly:

I've nearly settled on Writing Strands 2, but wondering if this is enough handwriting practice?

does he need additional copywork or handwriting workbook?

We started cursive last year but he is not strong in it yet, should we just do it again as a separate handwriting course?

What about spelling? (thinking of AAS but maybe something cheaper?) He doesn't seem to retain spelling, just copies letter for letter with copywork. :confused:

Also what about Language Arts?

WWE 2 seems to cover LA but Writing Strands does not (from what I remember)

what else do I need? I just need to figure this all out so we can really start our year properly. :001_smile:

My 3rd grader doesn't have separate handwriting. However, he started cursive at the beginning of 1st grade and doesn't need practice with letter formation. I just tell him that if he doesn't write neatly, he can redo the assignment. That's all the motivation he needs.

What do you mean by LA? To me that means writing, grammar, reading, spelling and vocabulary. WWE would only provide the writing portion for me. We round it out by using FLL, SWR, BL, and SL's Readers.

Take a look at Total Lauguage Plus. They have study guides that go along with different books (arranged by age/grade level). The guides are an all inclusive type of activity including reading (obviously), vocabulary, spelling, grammar, writing, etc. They get more involved the older the age group, but we are using two of them this year for our 8 and 9 year olds.

Here's what my 3rd grader will be doing:

Teaching Textbooks 3 with a few Developmental Math workbooks

Learning Language Arts Through Literature; the end of red and all of yellow (I decided on a more gentle approach to grammar instead of gungho)

The Logic of English (mainly using this for spelling and cursive)

WWE (our first attempt at this so I'm not sure if it will be 1 or 2; I have both)

Real Science Odyessey Life and Home Science Adventures (because I've had all of them sitting here for years)

History Odyssey Middle Ages with History Portfolio Jr Medieval

Home Art Studio

There's a lot of miscellaneous stuff that will be thrown in there too...this is just the basics. Maybe this will give you some idea or maybe others will post what they are using for this grade level.