Menu

Dayle in Guatemala - a question...

LindaOz

I was reading in one of the other threads on elementary writing that you have you dc do daily journalling. I was just wondering how you go about that with your children. Do you give them a topic each day to write on, or do they just write about whatever they want? What sorts of things do they write about?

Thanks for sharing,

Linda:)

We do writing prompts 2-3 days a week and the other times they write on their own about whatever they want. The writing prompts are so great for them because it gets their creative juices flowing. I stress that at the beginning because I really want writing to be fun. Once they start to "learn" to write with correct form, having done so much creative writing earlier helps them to stay creative.

Here's some good sites for writing prompts if you're interested:

Can Teach

Tooter 4 Kids

A Creative Journal

Writing Fix

Hope this helps!

Great! Thanks so much. Just one other question: do you set a time limit or just have them write on the topic for as long as they like? And do you help them edit their journal writing at all, or just accept what they have written and work on mechanics etc in copywork/dictation? Ok, that was two questions :)

I'm just asking because I have some kids who are great writers, but one who is struggling and I'm thinking that daily journal writing might help her with fluency. I think putting a time limit on her writing may help her not to feel overwhelmed with what she may see as an unending task, but I am just curious as to what you do. :bigear:

Thanks again.

Great! Thanks so much. Just one other question: do you set a time limit or just have them write on the topic for as long as they like? And do you help them edit their journal writing at all, or just accept what they have written and work on mechanics etc in copywork/dictation? Ok, that was two questions :)

I'm just asking because I have some kids who are great writers, but one who is struggling and I'm thinking that daily journal writing might help her with fluency. I think putting a time limit on her writing may help her not to feel overwhelmed with what she may see as an unending task, but I am just curious as to what you do. :bigear:

Thanks again.

I don't set a time limit because I want them to be creative. But, I do stop them and let them get back to it later if we need to move on. I don't edit their journals, I only work on the mechanics of writing in their written work and their copywork/dictation. I think the journal is a reflection of what they've gotten through their other work. It will start to show itself in the journal. It's a good way for me to know whether it's sunk in! If I see them making the same mistakes, I find grammar sheets, punctuation sheets, and copywork that will help them to solidify that skill. If after that I still don't see improvement then I will talk to them about it to see if they still don't understand or, sometimes, they are just being a little bit lazy about their writing and I remind them that they need to carry those skills into their journaling and everyday writing.

Hope this helps!