Menu

Mep / Teaching Textbooks / Life of Fred for 9 yr oldl

ummof3

Hi all

We have been using Math Mammoth with my 9 yr old ds but I think the mastery approach isn't suiting him because he forgets what he has learnt and he doesn't look forward to the lessons. I think he'd like something more fun and I like the look of LOF as a supplement. I also think he'll like TT because of the CDs. I'm going to have him do some sample lessons tomorrow. I like The look of Mep because it's free and it's a spiral programmed but I'm unsure as to whether it's a good fit as I haven't had him try it.

Thanks in advance x

Life of Fred is a great supplement, and if your kid clicks with it can bring back the "math love" MM is excellent, but it can be a little dry. Last year, we did 2 pages of MM every day, and then did 2 or 3 chapters of LOF. We covered the whole Elementary series during 4th grade, and it really lit the math love fire under dd! Having LOF to look forward to made it easier to "get through" the MM lesson.

Not sure what level of TT you need, but you can often find it used for a good price here or at homeschoolclassifieds.com. I've used levels 4,5,6,7, and pre-algebra and pre-algebra was the only one I had to buy new because of the newer self grading edition.

I saved a LOT of $$ buying these used and I never had any problems with them.

We really love TT and my kids rarely complain about doing math ;)

Not sure what level of TT you need, but you can often find it used for a good price here or at homeschoolclassifieds.com. I've used levels 4,5,6,7, and pre-algebra and pre-algebra was the only one I had to buy new because of the newer self grading edition.

I saved a LOT of $$ buying these used and I never had any problems with them.

We really love TT and my kids rarely complain about doing math ;)

Thanks, i'm hoping to find it used but i'm in the UK so not sure how many sellers will be willing to ship across the pond! x

Just a thought, but maybe MM is too repetitive/slow for him. So by the time he is done with a topic, he is completely bored by it and has forgotten it? I think that's what happened with my son. Maybe if you skipped some/a lot of the repetition he would retain it better? So far that has worked for us, though I am continuing to look for a better fit for us.