Menu

Curriculum Help for DS

I think I just need some feedback. :)

I had DS tested with the local school system to get some information about where is his and what we are dealing with in his learning challenges.

Here are the results:

DS has an IQ of 121. (only relevant b/c of the following info)

Basic reading skill: 86 Discrepancy: -35

Reading Comp: 78 Discrepancy: -43

Math Calc: 95 Discrepancy: -26

Math Reasoning: 103 Discrepancy: -18

Written Lang.: 72 Discrepancy: -49

I left out the smaller subtests.

He's actually on level for Math but b/c of his IQ, tested below expectation.

Here's the outline for this year:

KONOS core curriculum (he's a RB learner and this will tap into that)

MUS Alpha (will progress to Beta probably quickly)

Life of Fred- Cats and then Dogs (more if he completes them)

ABeCeDarian- reading support

Reading Eggs - reading support

HWOT and DWN- writing support

Real Science 4 Kids (Chemistry)

Do you see anything that I could tweak? Or perhaps add in or take out?

Thanks!

I would not worry about what the IQ test states, they are not as reliable in younger children from what I understand. What I would be concerned about is if he is not reading at level yet but I am not sure of his age. Remember with boys language arts skills normally take longer to develop. Concentrating on the reading is a key. Being able to read well and to comprehend what you are reading is the foundation to learning all other subjects.

The program you have laid out looks good. The best way to know if it is a fit or too much is by trying it. If you find that things are a little too much, you go slower or just take something out.

DS is dyslexic so the reading is going to be hard and laborious for him. That's why we are using ABeCeDarian. He also has some dx'ed issues in tracking and eye convergence. We are doing some therapies at home for that as we cannot get VT for him.

Sadly, reading won't come easily for him anytime soon. This is the line up for school that I came up with after scrapping the last 2 years of curriculum and moving to a more VS friendly set of sources.

Reading Eggs was something we started before we got the dyslexia dx. He enjoys it. He likes the acheivment aspect of it. So, we've stuck with it. He's very technology oriented and likes it=-- thus, leaving it in.

ABeCeDarian is a program that works on phonemic awareness and segmenting.

ABeCeDarian Company publishes and distributes the ABeCeDarian Reading Program, a research-based, explicit, comprehensive, multi-sensory decoding program developed by Michael Bend, Ph.D. The program efficiently addresses the key areas of phonemic awareness, phonics, and fluency.

http://www.abcdrp.com/

Several of my friends who have dyslexic kids had great success with it. :)

OH! And, DS will be 8 in a few months.

If he is only going to be 8 you are just fine. The dyslexia is going to cause difficulties and challenges but if you put the work in now (which it sounds like you are doing) then he can catch up and reading will not always be difficult. I have met several kids (homeschooled) with dyslexia. It takes alot of patience and work with them when they are young but the kids are now doing really well (or did really well) in middle and high school, so much so a few of them I never would have guessed they had severe dyslexia.

Oh I did have a question on your science, are you doing pre-level 1 or level 1? For that age I would suggest the pre-level 1.