Menu

Latin Help....for a 7th Grade Dyslexic (Who loves GSWL)

Xanadu

My DS loves GSWL, and we've taken it slow because he is very dyslexic.

We also use English from the ROOTS UP (Flashcards Vol. 1 & 2)

We've had great success in increasing and maintaining both English language and Latin language vocabulary, and he's excellent at Latin-English translation but struggles a great deal with English-Latin.

I've looked into Lively Latin, Galore Park Latin Prep, Henle, First Form Latin, Latin for the New Millenium & Lingua Latina

I think Lively Latin or Latin Prep may be the best option (I want to continue easing him into Latin so he doesn't hit a wall and become discouraged) I also like the immersion of Latin-English translation in Lingua Latina. Ultimately I could care less of which is more appropriate for his grade level (7th) I'm more concerned over which would follow GSWL the best in light of his special needs.

Maybe I should ask which follows the method of GSWL in a gentle manner.

We switched DD to Latin's Not So Tough after GSWL, and so far, we like it a lot. She's ony fifth grade, though, and we started with Level 3; it is easy, but I thought easy would be a good way to review, learn more vocabulary, and get used to a slightly different setup. I don't know if it would be good for a dyslexic or not, but it does seem to introduce things slowly, and it does ask for a fair amount of English to Latin translation (which I like, because DD is the kind of kid who can guess the right answer from a bunch given, but having to come up with the answer on her own makes her think more).