Menu

Considering CSMP for Math

zelli21

While reading random posts, I saw someone mention CSMP. I looked into it more and it looks interesting. Plus free! Based on the forums recommendation, I'm currently trying MEP Reception for pre-K math 1-2 days a week and it is being met with resistance - "I want different math". We've only gotten a few lessons done because it isn't want he wants from math.

Do you think that CSMP Kindergarten could be used for pre-k?

For those who have used it and MEP, which do you like better? Why?

Thanks for your guidance.

I started my dd with CSMP at the 1st grade level when she was 5yo. So I can only assume that I could have done the K level for pre-K. Obviously, this is going to depend very much on the child. Have you looked through the lesson plans to see if it something your dc could do?

I haven't gotten though the whole document yet but the lesson plans seem do-able so far. I do like that the program has very little writing, if any, which will be helpful since we are not up to handwriting yet.

Wonder why it is not mentioned more frequently on the board?

Thanks for your reply.

I haven't gotten though the whole document yet but the lesson plans seem do-able so far. I do like that the program has very little writing, if any, which will be helpful since we are not up to handwriting yet.

Wonder why it is not mentioned more frequently on the board?

Thanks for your reply.

The handwriting issue is one of the reasons that we are using CSMP.

There are many reasons that it is not often mentioned on the boards. First, and probably most important, it is teacher-intensive. I know that I have to teach math for at least 30 minutes each day. There is no handing the child a DVD or a worksheet and sending her off on her own. And because of this, I am already looking for an alternative to CSMP for my next child. CSMP is perfect for my oldest, but I really don't want to be teaching 2 CSMP lessons every day if I have a child that doesn't need that level of assistance.

Next, because CSMP has a unique approach, the teacher has to first figure out what is needed to use the program, and that is not readily apparent. (That 700-page 1st grade manual is understandably intimidating!) Consequently, many abandon it before they even start. Moreover, many people are uncomfortable with an approach that is unique and untested.

Lastly, many people are uncomfortable with the different algorithms that CSMP teaches for multiplication and division. It doesn't bother me, because I have a strong math background and can easily supplement teaching the traditional algorithms.

Do you think that CSMP Kindergarten could be used for pre-k?

That’s when we used it (Kindergarten level the year before official kindergarten). It worked well because for quite a bit of the K level, maybe a third or half of the lessons, you read a storybook to introduce the topic—which made dd ask for math.

Edited by Rai B.
Clarifying level