Menu

Yorktown/Jamestown

Has anyone ever been to these? They are coming up inn a couple of weeks and the prices and classes look great online. I have twin 7 year old boys and we are thinking of going there. Does anyone have advice on if it is worth it? Looking for places to stay, eat, how much time, etc. We are thinking it will take a day per place as there is a 2 hour tour plus class for each place.

We just returned from a trip to Williamsburg. I'm not familiar with the programs you mentioned, but we did tour the Jamestown Settlement (not the Historic Jamestown run by the National Park Service) and had a very nice day. DD is 7 and had a very nice time. To prepare we read A Lion to Guard Us and Pocahontas and the Strangers, both of which she really enjoyed. I think her favorite part of the day was the Powhatan Village where she ground corn, took the fur off a deer skin and helped to tan another deerskin.

There are TONS of hotels and restaurants in the area. Near Jamestown is the Old Chickahominy House, which is neat and kid friendly. We also ate at a couple of pancake houses for breakfast (Capital Pancake House and Astronomical Pancake House). Route 60/Bypass Road/Richmond Road has about every chain restaurant you could imagine. Food for Thought was a non-chain where we had a good meal. My favorite meal of the week was at The Cheese Shop in Merchants Square by Colonial Williamsburg.

For hotels, there are unlimited choices at all price points, really. Depending on your budget, you could easily just show up with no reservations. There were several low-cost motels on Richmond Road with signs for $40-$50 a night if cost is a concern. And they looked clean and fine. We were there for a week (also went to Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens) so we rented a condo from a timeshare place (Wyndham Patriots Place) that was very nice. Right near us were a Holiday Inn and a Days Inn and a Homewood Suites that all looked good.

We are going for the second time. I would look into staying at the Powhatan (sp?) because they are timeshare condos with a second bedroom for the kids. We stayed for $50 a night or something ridiculous like that last year. We sat through a time share presentation so we could stay for free this year (but I wouldn't recommend doing that). They have nice pools and activities, too.

Are you not doing Williamsburg? That is my girls' favorite. We are signed up for programs at all three places this year. We didn't do any programs last year because we wanted to walk around and do our own thing since we hadn't been before.

You can pack your own food if you want. Jamestown has a cafeteria. There is a great cheese shop right outside of Williamsburg but it's a but pricey. They have sandwiches and stuff.

Great Wolf Lodge has a homeschool discount during that time as well, but we don't stay there. I think it's still pricey and we aren't there to do the waterpark, we are there to do Williamsburg.

We spent the day at Jamestown last week. The girls loved it and wanted to come back the next day. They are 9 and 7. I really enjoyed it, too. We used to live in Norfolk, and I spent most of the day wondering why we never made a trip while we lived there!

Not sure what classes you're referring to. You don't need to take classes. There's tons to do at each place. Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown together form the Historic Triangle. You can buy one pass that gets you into all three. They're connected by a scenic parkway. All have interactive things to do, with people in costumes re-enacting, etc. If your boys go in costume, the people will talk with them authentically! So when we went, my dd had a colonial costume for Williamsburg and an indian dress for Jamestown. It was just tons of fun.

When you have that pass, you really don't have to pick how long you spend at each thing. You can start one place and just see how it goes. They're close together, so if you get done at Jamestown, you can just bop to the next thing. And of course you're just a hop skip and a jump from other cool things to do (Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, Monticello which is a bit further but worth stopping at, etc.).

Enjoy your trip! :)

Not sure what classes you're referring to. You don't need to take classes. There's tons to do at each place. Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown together form the Historic Triangle. You can buy one pass that gets you into all three. They're connected by a scenic parkway. All have interactive things to do, with people in costumes re-enacting, etc. If your boys go in costume, the people will talk with them authentically! So when we went, my dd had a colonial costume for Williamsburg and an indian dress for Jamestown. It was just tons of fun.

When you have that pass, you really don't have to pick how long you spend at each thing. You can start one place and just see how it goes. They're close together, so if you get done at Jamestown, you can just bop to the next thing. And of course you're just a hop skip and a jump from other cool things to do (Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, Monticello which is a bit further but worth stopping at, etc.).

Enjoy your trip! :)

I am referring to the homeschool week, where they offer classes and tours. Here is the link...

http://www.historyisfun.org/homeschool-program.htm

Thanks for all the info though. I am sure we will have fun.