Menu

Need an AAS-type spelling program for 8th grade

Rockhopper

My rising 8th grader did/does well w/ the rules of AAS but the words at the lower levels (all we've gotten through) are too easy.

Plus I have to find something he can do independently. It's just not going to get done otherwise.

He doesn't need reading remediation or vocabulary help, and he'll balk at having to "draw a picture to represent the word" or similar types of activities... I'm fine with making him write the word or use the word in a sentence or other types of reinforcement that seem more useful, though.

Help! Thanks!:001_smile:

Thanks! Any other ideas?

Megawords might work -- I'll do some research.

Phonetic Zoo may work. There is a test on their website for placement. It is independent and even though there aren't rules, there are little jingles that go with each lesson's words.

I've thought a lot about PZ but the lack of rules bothers me. I find it odd that they bill themselves as basically a follow-on to AAS but don't have rules.:confused:

Take a gander at HTTS. It's about learning the rules, uses workbooks, and the words are not easy in Levels 3/4 (where your dc would probably need to be).

More info on my blog:

http://dougcarla.wordpress.com/2012/02/07/how-to-teach-spelling-review/

Off to look.