Menu

English 11 What to use? With background info

This is my second year homeschooling my DS 16. He asked me to after 9th grade in PS.

He will be taking a healthcare class at a local school for 11/12 graders since he has a strong interest in this as a career.

We are in AK, moved here last summer!

He has taken all the AK state testing and passed with advanced in everything.

I used write at home last year and that was positive for him.

I feel awful that I don't know what he needs to cover since he went to public and private school most of his life and has always been in Honors classes.

I think Lightning literature, LL with lord of the rings and teaching the classics all sound great.

Honestly, I don't think I know how to analyze literature so what would be effective for him and doable for me?

I have read many books for pleasure and in College but literature pro I am not.

DS will be taking, thinkwell Chemistry + labs, Chalk dust Geometry +ALEKS, Healthcare practices, Rosetta Stone Latin, American Government. He is also studying for PSAT/SAT and wants to take some AP tests in May.:eek:

I would love some suggestions.

Kelli in AK

I started homeschooling because SWB's book, "The Well-Trained Mind" made it seem do-able to me. Have you read through her chapter on how to teach reading and writing? It is really not that difficult to pick an era that appeals to you, choose a level that seems good for your child, and start reading from that list. I recommend you reading one of the books first, and then read it again with him. It is never to late to start this approach. I don't think she was writing only for literature pros; but for parents who believed a solid education could be gained at home. I think it's good to pick a number of hours a day YOU will commit to study, and stick to it. I would be glad to keep telling you this if you need more than one push.

I think Lightning literature, LL with lord of the rings and teaching the classics all sound great.

Honestly, I don't think I know how to analyze literature so what would be effective for him and doable for me?

Kelli in AK

Hi, Kelli,

I haven't done 11th grade at home yet, but you might want to look at Excellence in Literature. We have the first unit, Introduction to Literature--Literature and Composition. It's thorough and enjoyable. The units can be done in any order. You have the choice to do a regular or honors level course. Very reasonably priced--a pdf is available for $27 or you can order a hard copy.

http://www.everyday-education.com/literature/index.shtml