Menu

Where to do family reunion in the midwest in summer (so maybe north)

My parents are having their 50th wedding anniversary next summer. There are 4 of us kids, married with kids. We are having a hard time thinking of someplace good. We have a backup place in Colorado, but for various reasons we're trying to come up with something else. So I'm asking for the name of a particular resort, YMCA, etc. rather than just a general area such as "Door County". What exact place in Door County that works for groups this size?

- It needs to be not too hot (but somewhere on a Great Lake might be ok). Not the Ozarks for sure. This is probably one of the most important things. Something like Lake Michigan, Door County, northern Minnesota kind of weather.

- We'd prefer to be in individual cabins, probably not a conference center/hotel-situation. We'd also be open to my parents staying in a cabin, the rest of us piled into one big house or possibly bunkhouse type of place.

- Doesn't need to be super-fancy, but probably not TOO shabby.

- Someplace that has lots for the kids to do, preferably besides lake/beach. We're concerned that if we go to a place where the lake is about the only thing, it could stink if we had bad weather. Also, my mom isn't a big lake person. So a lake is ok, but there'd need to be some kind of other activities.

- Would like to find someplace generally close to midwest, or within 10 hours of Missouri probably.

The hard thing about individual cabins is that it's hard to eat together. So if there was some way to figure that out - is there a place we could all eat together? Or a big area outside cabin?

Thanks for any ideas! This is hard!

Edited by HeidiKC

Check out Starved Rock Lodge.

It's near Utica, about an hour and a half from Illinois, and maybe 45 minutes to an hour from Joliet. Natural setting with trails, water, horseback riding, etc but you can also 'escape' to town pretty easily.

It's not cabins, but definitely not 'hotel' ambiance. There's a main dining room and at least one cafe or grill type thing.

It's near Utica, about an hour and a half from Illinois, and maybe 45 minutes to an hour from Joliet. Natural setting with trails, water, horseback riding, etc but you can also 'escape' to town pretty easily.

It's not cabins, but definitely not 'hotel' ambiance. There's a main dining room and at least one cafe or grill type thing.

Thank you - that looks nice. Yes, my sister lives in Illinois and I know they love Starved Rock - not sure if they've stayed in the lodge or not. I guess what I meant was not a hotel, was not a conference center, etc. where we have individual rooms and no way to cook. I don't think my parents want to eat dinner in a restaurant every night, and it would be hard anyway with a bunch of kids. But I know we might have to consider something like this since the cabin thing is seeming hard to find. Thanks again, will look at details!

Well, what do you know? They have cabins!

Mahoney State park is where we had a family reunion a few years ago. Huge conference rooms, cabins, etc.

http://nebraskastateparks.reserveamerica.com/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NE&parkId=230273

They had an awesome water park area for the kids, lots of trails, and there is an animal reserve that you can drive through fairly close. It isn't far from Omaha if there is things people want to do in the city.

We've been there and love it! GREAT place! Only thing...WAY too hot for summertime. We are looking for cooler weather like you might find on Lake Michigan, Door County, Colorado.

I do highly recommend Mahoney State Park. We went there once for a few days of Spring Break. Thanks!