Menu

If you love to paint furniture, I have a question...........

i picked up a great wicker chair at the thrift store yesterday. It is family room or living room quality - in fact, similar new at pottery barn would cost approx $700.

Granted, this is not new, and there isn't a seat cushion, but I paid $6.95 for it -- it was worth dragging it out of the store and putting it in the minivan all by myself.;)

So -- while i have a fairly nice inventory of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in nice colors, I am not sure about chalk paint on wicker -- i think it would take too long and use to much paint.

The wicker is dark brown -- it is not brittle or dried out. I am thinking (actually) of using black paint on it -- spray paint, believe it or not. A nice high gloss -- I am not planning on coating every bit of the chair; i want some of the brown to remain as it will give it a distressed look.

Has anyone done this? Hints? Do's and Don'ts?:confused:

I've never painted wicker but I have painted lots of furniture, and the general rule is that if the finish is in good shape and not peeling, paint away. You won't need a smooth top, so it should be fine. You might want to lightly sand the whole chair to get the paint to stick effectively, but that might not be necessary. And I think spray paint would work great on wicker!

:iagree:

Ok here is what I would do if it were staying in my home. I have a habit of picking up things that need a bit of love LOL.

Vacuum well with some sort of brush like attachment getting every nook and cranny. Then with a small brush dipped in a mild bleach solution scrub gently all over. Just to remove and grease/grime/etc.

Very fine sand paper all over, then wipe with a tack cloth.

BIN spray primer all over.

Then the spray paint, and finally a protective clear coat.

I have done this to cheap o Pier one chairs just because I got tired of the color and it was peeling.

I've never painted wicker but I have painted lots of furniture, and the general rule is that if the finish is in good shape and not peeling, paint away. You won't need a smooth top, so it should be fine. You might want to lightly sand the whole chair to get the paint to stick effectively, but that might not be necessary. And I think spray paint would work great on wicker!

:iagree:

Ok here is what I would do if it were staying in my home. I have a habit of picking up things that need a bit of love LOL.

Vacuum well with some sort of brush like attachment getting every nook and cranny. Then with a small brush dipped in a mild bleach solution scrub gently all over. Just to remove and grease/grime/etc.

Very fine sand paper all over, then wipe with a tack cloth.

BIN spray primer all over.

Then the spray paint, and finally a protective clear coat.

I have done this to cheap o Pier one chairs just because I got tired of the color and it was peeling.

Thank you all - excellent suggestions -- the chair is in really good shape -- I know that i have to vacuum it, I like the bleach idea, I hate sand paper :glare:.......I mean does anyone really 'like' sand paper.....I mean unless we are talking emery board and we are getting our nails done:tongue_smilie:.........primer I have to think about -- I don't want to disturb the dark brown color b/c I want it to come through as a distressed finish...and the clear protective coat, well, that makes sense.

425Lisamarie: I have a question: is the clear protective coat a spray on application? Could I use Annie Sloan Soft Wax or minwax and wipe on and off? Wouldn't the glossy spray paint have a protective coat already in it? Can you tell I rarely spray paint anything?:tongue_smilie:

Thank you all - excellent suggestions -- the chair is in really good shape -- I know that i have to vacuum it, I like the bleach idea, I hate sand paper :glare:.......I mean does anyone really 'like' sand paper.....I mean unless we are talking emery board and we are getting our nails done:tongue_smilie:.........primer I have to think about -- I don't want to disturb the dark brown color b/c I want it to come through as a distressed finish...and the clear protective coat, well, that makes sense.

425Lisamarie: I have a question: is the clear protective coat a spray on application? Could I use Annie Sloan Soft Wax or minwax and wipe on and off? Wouldn't the glossy spray paint have a protective coat already in it? Can you tell I rarely spray paint anything?:tongue_smilie:

Oh you are distressing? Yeah then no primer. You can get clear coat spray. I think Minwax is a really good idea. I don't know if you have ever used gel stain but I like it. Then just get the spray clear coat in whatever finish you want. As in how glossy. I think it's always best to finish with clear when using stain. I don't know if it would be all that easy to brush on a clear coat with wicker.

My opinion is that spray paint would do the trick. I like the idea of soft wax to seal and protect. For 6.95, you can afford to experiment a bit. If in a year, the finish isn't what you want, repaint and reseal.

Post before and afters, please. I want to see.

My opinion is that spray paint would do the trick. I like the idea of soft wax to seal and protect. For 6.95, you can afford to experiment a bit. If in a year, the finish isn't what you want, repaint and reseal.

Post before and afters, please. I want to see.

Good advice -- and yes -- i will get before and afters.:001_smile: