Menu

Teaching Textbooks placement, a WWYD?

MiniBlondes

I bought Teaching Textbooks for DD9 when I first decided to HS. I didn't realize that it was 'behind' and so I just bought TT4 thinking that was what she needed. She's been doing her lessons and I've noticed that it seems way too easy for her. At first I thought it was because it was the beginning of the year, review type stuff. But then, I decided to make her take the placement test for TT5 just to see where she was.

TT5's placement test goes like this.

10 or more correct on Section 1 (problems 1 – 15) She got 14 and the one she missed was a silly multiplication error.

and 8 or more correct on Section 2 (problems 16 – 30) She missed 8 of these.

But here's where I am torn. On the last 15, one of them she missed because her Dad called in the middle of the problem and distracted her. She even wrote a question mark beside her answer, I think because she meant to come back to it and forgot. 3 of them were adding/subtracting with basic decimal points. She never learned that in public school but it's simple to learn and I feel like I could just tell her how to do it and she'd figure it out in a few minutes. One of them is multiplying 2 digit numbers. She didn't learn that in PS at all in 3rd grade. 1 was a simple long division with a remainder. She was confused about the remainder but she understood the whole number answer. Again, didn't learn that in PS. The last 2 were adding and subtracting fraction with a common denominator. Again, didn't learn this in PS.

I'm struggling because I feel like the ones that she missed are pretty simple concepts that I could teach to her relatively quickly. I don't want to keep her in TT4 if everything else is going to be review. But I don't want to put her in TT5 if it's too advanced.

So, WWYD?

Edited by MiniBlondes

I had the same issue when I first got TT for my boys. We ended up getting TT 4, doubled up on alot of the lessons and worked pretty quick thru it. We will be finishing up next week so I would say it was good for us because there were some concepts that boys really needed to get before we moved on to TT 5.

You ladies are amazing. Thank you.

We've spent the last hour reviewing those things that she previously didn't know and she seems to have caught on to the basic concepts pretty quickly.

I just spent my Friday night doing long division and fractions with my 9 year old. I guess I'm officially a homeschooler now. :lol: