Menu

Question for CW users

Deana FL

I have not read the Core book, in which might hold the answer to my question. I have the CW-Homer student workbook that I'm perusing. My daughter completed Writing Tales 2 last year and now I'm considering our next step. Since CW is laid out very similar to WT, I thought this would be the most logical program to begin.

However, as my daughter was reading through the text, she asked me a question I wasn't sure I could answer. "Why don't they use quotes when someone is talking?" I can think of a couple arguments for this, but I'd like to hear if someone knows the actual reason.

Thanks in advance.

~Deana

I have not read the Core book, in which might hold the answer to my question. I have the CW-Homer student workbook that I'm perusing. My daughter completed Writing Tales 2 last year and now I'm considering our next step. Since CW is laid out very similar to WT, I thought this would be the most logical program to begin.

However, as my daughter was reading through the text, she asked me a question I wasn't sure I could answer. "Why don't they use quotes when someone is talking?" I can think of a couple arguments for this, but I'd like to hear if someone knows the actual reason.

Thanks in advance.

~Deana

Deana,

I haven't started Homer, but I own it. In Aesop quotes where a focus. Now they did spend time distinguishing between direct quotes and indirect quotes, so my first guess would be that it is an indirect quote (where they narrator tells what the person is saying). If you give me a page number I can look it up.

Heather

Thank you, Heather, for replying. She was specifically reading the story of Rapunzel. For example, the second paragraph, about the 3rd sentence..where the husband begins talking.

Then her husband was alarmed, and asked, what ails you, dear wife. Ah, she replied, if I can't eat some of the rampion, which is in the garden behind our house, I shall die.

Can you tell me why they do not put the quotes for each person? It seems to me that "What ails you, dear wife." should be quoted and.."Ah," she replied, "If I can't eat some of the rampion..."

Thanks for checking for me...

Thank you, Heather, for replying. She was specifically reading the story of Rapunzel. For example, the second paragraph, about the 3rd sentence..where the husband begins talking.

Then her husband was alarmed, and asked, what ails you, dear wife. Ah, she replied, if I can't eat some of the rampion, which is in the garden behind our house, I shall die.

Can you tell me why they do not put the quotes for each person? It seems to me that "What ails you, dear wife." should be quoted and.."Ah," she replied, "If I can't eat some of the rampion..."

Thanks for checking for me...

You got me. It is not an indirect quote, it has the same error in both the teacher guide and the Narratives book. I even looked up the original in my Grimms' book and there it has the quotes! Then I looked to see if there was somewhere where they asked the child to put them in, but I found none. Other weeks do have quotations, but I wonder....they left them out of the Bible passages as well, I think...I am too lazy to run up and get my KJV of the Bible I am pretty sure they are missing some quotations....what is weird is when I searched the next for KJV none of them did have quotes....ok now I have to go get it (my KJV Bbile)...WOW! None! Ok totally in shock over that. :001_huh:

Well I jumped over to the CW forms and asked about it. http://lene.proboards15.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=homer&thread=1219

Heather

We will be starting Homer in a month or so, but similar things have come up in the Aesop book. It seems to be dependent on what "version" of the story they are using, as to whether there are "archaic stylisms" (is that a word?). So, for example, in some of the stories in Aesop the characters are capitalized even though in modern-day English we wouldn't. Something along the lines of:

The Wolf crept up to the Pig's straw house.

I remember my ds asking at the time why some words were capitalized when they weren't proper nouns, and I essentially gave the response you got, that in older forms of writing sometimes different mechanics were used.

What I don't know is which versions they have chosen to use as source material (I'm sure it much be mentioned somewhere in the core books), and haven't really considered in depth whether there is a reason why they have chosen some more archaic versions rather than "modern translations". And I haven't really weighed in my own mind the relative importance of using older versions of classic stories vs newer ones.

However, I will say that I haven't had any qualms in substituting readings for other reasons (mainly the biblical/religious passages), so if it is a problem I would put in something else. I may myself put in something else, lol, I haven't planned out that part of our schoolwork yet.

Kate

Deana, I find ithe non-quoted quotes odd, too. We are only on the third week of Homer, but looking ahead to the Rapunzel example truly baffles me. :confused: I guess I'm wholly unfamiliar with direct quotes that have no quotation marks.

Wikipedia has some info that backs up the info that Heather received from the author on the CW forums. Still, like Kate, I wonder why the most archaic versions are selected. :001_huh: I may just take a pen to all the models or have my girls add quotation marks themselves. ;)

Thank you for posting your concerns. :001_smile:

ETA: Aha! Here is a copy of the story with quotation marks! :D