Menu

Landry English class?

thundersweet

Dd9 is currently taking English 102 (Eng II) with Bethany Hathaway via Landry. We were on vacation and missed the first 'live' class on Monday so we are watching the recording today and starting the assignments. Looks fantastic. Bethany seems perfect for this subject/age range.

I am so relieved not to teach writing to dd. She is very sensitive about her writing so feedback/instruction from an objective source will be appreciated. :)

HTH!

ETA: Bethany is passionate about grammar. She appears to be solid on her MCT materials (Town, CE, Poems) and is quite enthusiastic. I am really enjoying her style. Granted, I'm only watching the first recording.

Edited by Beth in SW WA

Dd9 is currently taking English 102 (Eng II) with Bethany Hathaway via Landry. We were on vacation and missed the first 'live' class on Monday so we are watching the recording today and starting the assignments. Looks fantastic. Bethany seems perfect for this subject/age range.

I am so relieved not to teach writing to dd. She is very sensitive about her writing so feedback/instruction from an objective source will be appreciated. :)

HTH!

Is there a lot of writing in this class? Can you give me examples? Like what is your assignment this week? I am mainly looking for grammar, vocabulary, reading, ect. I understand that it does include writing. Dd is taking a writing class now through Home2Teach. Would this class be a substitute for this? Or is the workload light enough that she could do both?

Thanks,

Sandy

Well, now I realize that I can't sign up till next fall which would be a year from now. And to get the discount, I have to pay now for a class that is not starting for another full year. Why not just offer one reasonable price and offer normal registration. That makes more since than having to prepay for "generic" classes to avoid paying full price.

Sandy

Well, now I realize that I can't sign up till next fall which would be a year from now. And to get the discount, I have to pay now for a class that is not starting for another full year. Why not just offer one reasonable price and offer normal registration. That makes more since than having to prepay for "generic" classes to avoid paying full price.

Sandy

That business model seems to resonate with customers. I was happy to pay early for a discount.

Had you previously taken classes there before you pre-paid so far in advance? Or did you go in blind hoping it would be the right fit? That is my concern. If I knew for sure it would work out, I would welcome pre-paid "credits."

Sandy

I read positive feedback on the high school board here. I spoke with Greg Landry on the phone and he answered my questions. I watched the sample classes. The content of English 102 sounded ideal so I took a gamble. Landry seems to have quite a following so I assume they have a good product.

HTH!

I'm intrigued by the use of the MCT materials in the Landry English classes, though we've been very happy with the Potter's School classes we've taken (Writer's Workshop, Eng. 1 and Eng. 2). My only complaint about Potter's School is the emphasis on grades. They grade rather hard, in my opinion, and it can be demoralizing for kids who are working to the best of their ability and actually learning a lot.

Beth - you have some experience with TPS English classes, right? Or am I thinking of someone else? I'd love to see a comparison with Landry.

I'm intrigued by the use of the MCT materials in the Landry English classes, though we've been very happy with the Potter's School classes we've taken (Writer's Workshop, Eng. 1 and Eng. 2). My only complaint about Potter's School is the emphasis on grades. They grade rather hard, in my opinion, and it can be demoralizing for kids who are working to the best of their ability and actually learning a lot.

Beth - you have some experience with TPS English classes, right? Or am I thinking of someone else? I'd love to see a comparison with Landry.

Yes, my older dd took English 2 via TPS a couple years ago and we loved it. I begged and pleaded to the teacher of Adventures In Writing to let dd9 take that class this year even though she is not 10 yet. The teacher said no.

I was thrilled when I read on the MCT yahoo group that Landry offered MCT classes. I signed up dd9 the same day.

I plan to enroll her in Mrs. Frederick's class at TPS when she is older.