Menu

Derek Owens Pre-Algebra for younger students

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has tried Derek Owens' Pre-Algebra with younger kids? The reason I ask is that this would be the first 'class-like' setting for our homeschooled ds11. The whole idea of taking notes and following a more traditional class sounds like it would be a challenge for him. However I am thinking it possibly be a just right challenge which would help him grow.

The other programs we're looking at are KineticBooks and TabletClass. We're going through MUS Pre-Algebra right now. At this point I think its time for something a bit more rigorous to go along with it as we prepare for Algebra 1. Anyway I have heard good things about all these programs. However Derek Owens sounds intriguing with the note taking aspect. While this is a great skill to develop I'm just not sure this is the best time for it.

Well, we are giving Derek Owen's Physical Science course a try for my ds11 this year. This will also be his first outside, "class-like" setting course he has ever taken as well. I too am thinking the practice with note taking will be a good skill and is one of the reasons we chose the class. The partially completed notes seemed like a good way to introduce my ds to this skill slowly. We don't start until next week though, so I can't give a BTDT as to how it will go, but wanted to let you know you won't be alone if you give it a try.

Well, we are giving Derek Owen's Physical Science course a try for my ds11 this year. This will also be his first outside, "class-like" setting course he has ever taken as well. I too am thinking the practice with note taking will be a good skill and is one of the reasons we chose the class. The partially completed notes seemed like a good way to introduce my ds to this skill slowly. We don't start until next week though, so I can't give a BTDT as to how it will go, but wanted to let you know you won't be alone if you give it a try.

Thanks Country Girl. I look forward to hearing how your ds11 like Physical Science since I am looking at Derek Owens' science courses as well.

I think Derek Owens class would be fine. You fill in the worktext as he talks, but you can always push pause. I haven't used pre-algebra, but my ds used algebra and physical science last year and physics this year. DS likes Derek Owens approach.

Thanks for sharing your experience TheApprentice. I am leaning toward giving Derek Owens a try.

Has he taken several?

If so, would you share your favorites?

He has taken geometry, physics, algebra 2 (all the "honors" versions), and he did part of physical science one summer (I never planned for him to do the whole thing). Ds really prefers pure math to science generally, so he has preferred the math courses, but he loves Derek (we've done local classes, so he's done part of the work online and part in person in the classroom) and has enjoyed all of the classes.

I actually suggested that he take this year off and do Discrete Math with a different program, but ds begged to continue with Derek's sequence, so he's starting Pre-Calculus next week.

I really think Derek is wonderful. He's enthusiastic but gentle and soft-spoken, really loves teaching kids and sharing their discoveries, does a fabulous job of breaking complex concepts into simple pieces, and is always willing to answer questions (about the subject or about his courses, etc) quickly over email.