Menu

FLVS Chemistry: Are experiments hands-on or online?

I've been waiting for a chemistry class to drop from the sky and so far, it has yet to materialize. :glare: So, I'm looking at chemistry options. I could have ds do this class that looks phenomenal, interesting, fun, hands-on. But, he would need to work fairly independently since, right now, I cannot add this class to my schedule.

Because he needs to work independently, I'm leaning towards FLVS Chemistry. But, I'm concerned it will be Arizona-desert dry and leave him less than enthused about science in general. The upside is that he will have an honors grade from an *official* Florida class -- something our state unis really like to see.

So, if we go with FLVS Chemistry, how hands-on are the experiments? Do they ship a box of hard equipment and consumables? (They did with AP bio.) Or should I plan on adding in experiments using the Robert Bruce Thompson book?

Thanks!

Lisa

It was several years ago when my daughter did FLVS Chemistry. And they seem to be busy re-designing courses left and right these days. So, I don't know if this information is outdated, but I can tell you about her experience.

They shipped a small box that had, as I recall, a 100-mL graduated cylinder, a couple of test tubes and a thermometer. There were very few hands-on labs required, and they were all things that didn't require anything more esoteric than hot water, baking soda and vinegar.

But we did our own thing for labs, because I really didn't think what FLVS required was adequate.

I feel like I have to say, too, that my daughter really hated that class. The writing wasn't clear, and her instructor was brand new to FLVS and wasn't nearly familiar enough with the course materials to be of much help when my daughter needed it. She just kept telling my daughter that they were going to fix and re-design the course the following year, and the best they could do was muddle through with what they had at the moment.

So, my guess is that it's different now, anyway.

I can tell you, though, that my son took their Earth Space Science just a couple of years ago, which is also a high school course. In theory, it counts for lab credit, but I think he had maybe three hands-on lab assigned during the year, none of which required anything except those "common household items."