Menu

Designing my own Writing curriculum for my kids...

It's not hard at all!!!

I have Comprehensive Composition. I just need to cover 5 types of writing this year and consult that book to flesh out pArticukars. I have the Write Source Handbook to hand to my son, when I want him to read a few pages, on a particular topic. I printed out a free sheet with icons, of The Writing Process, and I assigned a composition.

My son turned out a beautiful 4 paragraph biographical narrative from

Monks and Mystics and after two drafts, it's looking awesome. He needs more sentence variety so we will work on that together tomorrow, consulting Write Source.

I also bought Some adorable books called Prompt, Plan, Write for some variety, and a book called Banish Boring Words which neatly has lists of boring words and replacement ideas.

Really this is not hard at all! Better than bouncing around in writing programs, that just frustrate us.

Would you mind linking me to some of these resources? I don't have a plan for writing yet, so I'd love to look at some of these.

I think this is the Comprehensive Compostion?

And this is the Banish Boring Words?

Would love links to the other books and the sheet of the The Writing Process. Thanks!

The Writing Process

Prompt, Plan, Write

Would love the link to these two as well.

I already own Classical Composition and Write Source, I just always forget about them. Are you making an actual schedule with all of these resources or just doing it as you go? I am using WWW combined with WWE this year, but wasn't sure where we would be going after that.

1. Here's Prompt, Plan, Write

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1562347683/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

That's just for a break or for ideas for my 5th grader, but is the primary resource for my 3rd grader.

2. It's Comprehensive Compisition by Kathryn Stout. It's really easy to follow and not overwhelming, very logical.

3. For the Writing Process Printable, I just found one online. My goal was to find the SIMPLEST one I could, so that my students would not be overwhelmed. I can't find the one I use right now, but I'll check back if I do.

1. Here's Prompt, Plan, Write

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1562347683/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

That's just for a break or for ideas for my 5th grader, but is the primary resource for my 3rd grader.

2. It's Comprehensive Compisition by Kathryn Stout. It's really easy to follow and not overwhelming, very logical.

3. For the Writing Process Printable, I just found one online. My goal was to find the SIMPLEST one I could, so that my students would not be overwhelmed. I can't find the one I use right now, but I'll check back if I do.

Thank you.

And no, I really don't think a schedule is necessary. I think it would muddy the waters by stressing us out.

Comprehensive Composition recommends that 5th graders do five types of writing. (she lists which ones but I don't remember at the moment.)

There are 40 weeks in our school year. That means we have 8 weeks to work on each type of composition. Which means, turning out one every two weeks, we should be able to do 3-4 of each kind, easily. and that really still leaves plenty of room for occasional forays into more creative Writing (using Prompt, Plan, Write.)

This is good because the kids will be able to practice each type of writing several times before moving on.

You are quIte welcome. I find that with

1. a guide for me (comprehensive comp)

2. A handbook for ds to flesh things out here and there

3. Some prompts for when I don't know what to assign

I really feel totally at ease.

I am sooo trying to get myself to this place, not planning out each day/week when it comes to writing (or any subject for that matter:lol:). I have always been one that has to have what we are doing right there in black and white so we can check the box and move on. This is something I am working on this year.

I am using the 2006 edition 5th grade book.

However I would have preferred the old edition which covered more basic material in each volume, for several grades. They are available from rainbow now for 10.00 and you can also find them online very cheap.

(as I said, I bought mine used on amazon for 5.00 including shipping!) and it's in perfect shape.

I love your plan!

I am a total newbie (um, exactly four days of homeschooling under my belt lol), but we worked on our first "real" writing assignment today and I created it from Write Source. I was so excited!

I have the 6th grade book and Write Source 2000, and I paid less than $5.00 for each. I have also bought some Warriner's composition books. Again, less than $5 each.

I had planned a zoo field trip for this afternoon, and this morning we read the Write Source sample descriptive paragraph about an animal.

Sentence by sentence, we went through it. What exactly did the writer have to observe in order to write that sentence? The shape of the body, the time of day, how the head moves, etc.

And then I pointed out that there was a sequence of events embedded in the paragraph (the bird sat on the fence, looked around and then flew away) that was never explicitly listed. Because of course it would be BORING to write that way!

Today's assignment at the zoo was to choose an active animal (not a sleeping one, lol) and take the sort of notes that would facilitate writing an interesting, descriptive paragraph. Make observations. List a sequence of events.

I can't wait to see what he writes tomorrow!!

(BTW, I want to use WWS too but there is no way that I could NOT interject my own thing. I just think that we will both need the variety, and I like coming up with ideas. And thank you for the Comprehensive Composition resource. I am going to buy that.)

Edited by Penguin

I'm sorry. I am trying to search for these Write Source books, and I am coming up with so many different results. Could you link me to it? Normally I would be able to find it on my own, but I am not sure which one is correct. Thanks!

Penguin, your assignment is so creative! I love how you are working your zoo trip directly into the writing

Anna, there are so many different editions of Write Source AND they combine grades until the 2006 edition AND they have different titles! It's very annoying. I'll link you to some though. (PS for the purpose of using Write Source as a **handbook** and not a primary step by step curriculum, you get more bang for your buck using the older editions.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...