Menu

c/p Discovering Mathematics/NEM vs. Saxon

bethben

I will be using Saxon Algebra with my upcoming 6th grader. He used Singapore math previously to Saxon Algebra 1/2 last year (and did very well). He does well with math. When he was doing Singapore, he really loved and did well with the word problems. Discovering Mathematics or NEM keeps calling my name. My hesitancy is his age and the lack of teacher resources in DVD/CD form in case I should ever need them. I want to give my math kid a good foundation in math since he seems destined to have a math type career ahead of him due to his interests at this point. I CAN teach him math (I was a secondary math education major in college), but am unsure about time commitments. Also, if I do go with the Singapore upper level math, how do I know where to place him?

Beth

I will be using Saxon Algebra with my upcoming 6th grader. He used Singapore math previously to Saxon Algebra 1/2 last year (and did very well). He does well with math. When he was doing Singapore, he really loved and did well with the word problems. Discovering Mathematics or NEM keeps calling my name. My hesitancy is his age and the lack of teacher resources in DVD/CD form in case I should ever need them. I want to give my math kid a good foundation in math since he seems destined to have a math type career ahead of him due to his interests at this point. I CAN teach him math (I was a secondary math education major in college), but am unsure about time commitments. Also, if I do go with the Singapore upper level math, how do I know where to place him?

Beth

they do have placement test on SM website for NEM and Discovery. I am not familiar with saxon but NEM 1 covers most PreA and part of geometry so you probably do want to start NEM1 so you won't miss the Geometry part.

You can always utilize AOPS video to combine NEM for the teaching. It is done well, my DS like that a lot better than me teaching