Menu

Storing Home Canned foods

I just ordered my water bath canner and plan to can lots of tomato sauce, salsa, pickles, relish, etc. with the veggies from our garden. My book says the cans should be stored in a cool, dark and dry location.

We do not have a basement or attic or closets, and our garage is detached with no electricity or insulation so gets very hot in the summer and freezes in the winter. Our laundry nook stores all our cleaning products but also has a window and vents so the temperature fluctuates with the weather (and whether the washer/dryer are running).

I was planning to store the cans on the top of our kitchen cabinets away from the stove, since it stays cool (central air in summer) and dry but not particularly dark. It doesn't get direct sun but I wouldn't consider it dark either. Would storing them this way be okay? Or does anyone have another suggestion?

on top of the cabinets in boxes would be better. Also under beds in boxes with a chart labeled as to what is where and written on the outside of the box. That's how we store ours. We also have a large shelf unit in the laundry and one of our dd's 2 closets and half of ds's closet (because he doesn't use it) stores other items

on top of the cabinets in boxes would be better. Also under beds in boxes with a chart labeled as to what is where and written on the outside of the box. That's how we store ours. We also have a large shelf unit in the laundry and one of our dd's 2 closets and half of ds's closet (because he doesn't use it) stores other items

Thank you. I'm really embarrassed now since that seems so obvious. I always have boxes around so that certainly would be easy enough to do.