Menu

Logic or rhetoric for older high school student?

I did Thinking Toolbox with ds16 in 8th grade. He went to school for 9th and 10th. Now he's in homeschool again. I would like to have him do logic or rhetoric. He may decide to go into law (not sure). Should he use Traditional Logic from Memoria Press or the Art of Argument/Discovery of Deduction? Should he jump into Classical Rhetoric with Aristotle or Argument Builder? He has 2 more years at home.

Also, I was thinking of making this an elective. He is already doing Excellence in Literature Honors American Literature for English. Should I give him a full high school credit for it?

Shawn

How much time does he have in his schedule? I found it really difficult to add logic in the junior and senior years. You *can* do rhetoric without logic. It depends on your goals. My vote would probably be to spend the time and energy on a thorough rhetoric and writing program. I haven't used the two you mentioned so I can't comment specifically on those.

Lisa