Menu

New with a literature question...

I'm history_junkie, Leanna's DD21. Mom introduced me to these boards last year when I was doing some research for a college project; now I need some help from the Hive.

This year I am very excited to be teaching Rhetoric in a homeschool program. I'm comfortable with the Rhetoric portion, but less comfortable with the added Lit section. What are your best teaching resources for The Canterbury Tales, Hamlet, and Much Ado About Nothing? The students are in 11th grade.

Thanks so much!

I'm history_junkie, Leanna's DD21. Mom introduced me to these boards last year when I was doing some research for a college project; now I need some help from the Hive.

This year I am very excited to be teaching Rhetoric in a homeschool program. I'm comfortable with the Rhetoric portion, but less comfortable with the added Lit section. What are your best teaching resources for The Canterbury Tales, Hamlet, and Much Ado About Nothing? The students are in 11th grade.

Thanks so much!

For the Shakespeare, I've had some very good luck with the educator guides for various Shakespeare theatres and festivals. The National Shakespeare Theatre has some good educational material. We've been studying Much Ado About Nothing and I found that I really liked the Cliffs Notes version that had both notes and the entire play. I also have a Norton book of comedies that had nice notes. I used that while the kids each had a Dover Thrift edition, so they could each read parts and mark up the text.

I have used the book The Brightest Heave of Invention (available on Amazon) for Shakespeare. It is written from a Christian perspective and I found it very insightful. Both the Shaekspeare's you are doing are covered. The book has questions in it that you can use for discussions or to set as homework.