Menu

Switching from horizons to Singapore

a27mom

My almost 5 y/o is on track to finish horizons k math by about November

I think I would like to switch to Singapore. She is good at conceptual thinking.

Although I initially liked the spiral approach, I am not liking it now, i am frequently crossing out work book exercises. She is doing addition, and skip counting, why are we suddenly back to which tree is taller?

I am not sure how/when to switch. Looking at the placement test I see they teach the concepts differently. So while she can easily do the math required for 1a she would need some instruction to understand what they are asking for on some of the questions.

Would it be best to finish horizons k ( we are 1/4 of the way through but do more than one lesson a day)? and then start with 1b? Or just switch to Singapore 1a now?

I would do 1A. You have a 5 year old. It won't hurt her to go over some material she already knows, and the Singapore method is introduced in 1A, with the the emphasis on mental math and such. She can always move quickly through it if you need to.

So far, Singapore has had plenty of review for my kids (I have one in 5A and one in 1A).

My nearly 5 year old is doing both Horizons K and Singapore 1a (and MEP). I have found doing both has worked well for us - at the moment she is flying through Horizons K and enjoying it because it is easy and she can do it quickly (she's now 1/2 way through) but at other times she complains and is bored and then we switch. She flew through quite a bit of Singapore 1a and then got stuck at the teen numbers and going back to Horizons worked well for us where she encountered those same numbers in a way that was easier for her to work through (and more colourful) She will probably now find that section of Singapore too easy.

I guess it depends what your child is like - mine needs fairly constant change so having mulitple curricula works well (and I am in no hurry with her - we skim through things she knows and take our time or switch to another curriculum and come back when she seems stuck) You have the Horizons K books so why not switch to Singapore and if you need to you can carry on with Horizons as well or go back to it totally if need be.

Thanks. Looks like I will be visiting the used curriculum store again. The owner will be laughing. It's a lot of trial and error I guess. I am glad though that my "problems" are really positives, the tribulations of having fast eager learners ;)