Menu

Those of you who teach online

Do any of you know where I can find a master's program where I can get a degree in online teaching (in public schools)? I have been searching for awhile and have only come up with Boise State. I'm not entirely sure I would be certified when I would finish their program. Also, I don't have a B.A. in education, it is in Theology.

Thanks for reading this!

As far as I know, there isn't a degree for "teaching in online schools."

You would need to get something like a Masters in education (about 21 credit hours), PLUS student teaching to get your teaching credentials (I recall it being something along the lines of 200-300 classroom hours). Most of the courses are on classroom management and education theory. You don't need a BA in education, just a Bachelor's for elementary education.

This is what is required to be a teacher in K12... you have to have to be a certified teacher (what I listed above is close to the the alternative certificate plan in VA)

To teach at something like Veritas Press, they still like teachers with classroom experience, but I think they are more interested in your knowledge/experience teaching courses they are interested in offering...

IOW, not something I could pursue right now AND home school my own kids. The coursework wouldn't be a problem, but the many hundreds of hours of student teaching would.

As far as I know, there isn't a degree for "teaching in online schools."

You would need to get something like a Masters in education (about 21 credit hours), PLUS student teaching to get your teaching credentials (I recall it being something along the lines of 200-300 classroom hours). Most of the courses are on classroom management and education theory. You don't need a BA in education, just a Bachelor's for elementary education.

This is what is required to be a teacher in K12... you have to have to be a certified teacher (what I listed above is close to the the alternative certificate plan in VA)

:iagree:They are regular certified teachers in our state too, and at least in this area you must have several years experience in the classroom to be eligible for an online job - they are pretty coveted jobs. That is different from something like Tutor.com or other online tutoring sites though, and you may qualify for those without additional education, but the work is not as consistent.

Jennifer, could this program work for you?

http://www.ce.csueastbay.edu/degree/education/faqs.shtml

The degree is in online teaching and learning, but you would not be certified to teach in public schools when you completed it. You'd have to check your state requirements to find out what other hoops you'd have to jump through in order to get certified.

Jennifer, could this program work for you?

http://www.ce.csueastbay.edu/degree/education/faqs.shtml

The degree is in online teaching and learning, but you would not be certified to teach in public schools when you completed it. You'd have to check your state requirements to find out what other hoops you'd have to jump through in order to get certified.

Thanks for this, Cat. I know I can earn teaching credentials in TN if I am already teaching and have a degree in another field. The problem, of course, is that I need to teach online, not in a classroom.

Sigh...why doesn't 7 years of teaching my 4 children count? :tongue_smilie: