Menu

Quality backpack - LL Bean

My son is starting high school this year. He is 14 and 5'2". I want to get a really quality bag and I'm looking at L.L. Bean.

What do you think of this one? Size ok? He is in a mod. disability class, so won't carry many textbooks around the halls or home. Just lunch, jacket, crafts, binder etc.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/62852?feat=62851-ppxs&dds=y

Edited by LNC

I have that backpack.

I got it in 7th grade, used it every day in junior high, and then sometimes in high school (some years I used a "cooler" messenger bag), and then all 4 years of college, and then graduate school, and now I use it as a gym bag.

It's a little scuffed and dirty, but solid as a rock.

So maybe they don't make things as good as they used to, but based on my experience I say that backpack is of excellent quality. :lol:

I have that backpack.

I got it in 7th grade, used it every day in junior high, and then sometimes in high school (some years I used a "cooler" messenger bag), and then all 4 years of college, and then graduate school, and now I use it as a gym bag.

It's a little scuffed and dirty, but solid as a rock.

So maybe they don't make things as good as they used to, but based on my experience I say that backpack is of excellent quality. :lol:

Ok great. So, the size is probably ok? It made me nervous that it said 10 and up.

It is all about the size of the pack. If he won't be carrying a lot, it might be fine. You can call or go online w/LLBean, get measurements, make sure everything you need is included. I suggest getting their lunch packs, very durable. Ds used his for four years of college, it was great, and still in great shape. I got a rectangular lunch pack, it has a pocket for blue ice, and is the size of a fat book and fits nicely in the pack.

My daughter recently got that backpack. It's a little big for her now at age 10 but I anticipate she will quickly grow into it and use it for many years. I think it's a great size for teen and up. I carried it around during our recent vacation and I was able to adjust it to fit comfortably--I'm 5'2". The bag seems to be very durable and the company's warranty is generous.

ETA: My husband also carried this bag around with no problems. Even though it may say 10 and up, it's not a little kid bag.

Edited by meena

My dc both use that backpack. It is exceptionally sturdy -- a truly great backpack, imo. What you might not see in the pix is that there are two big compartments as well as the pouch compartment on the front. I appreciate that a binder (for 8 1/2 x 11) fits in -- some backpack taper at the top so that they are hard/impossible to close with a notebook.

Five of my children and five of my grandchildren so far have had that backpack, and I have two. So, yeah, we love them. It started fitting our children at about 9 or 10 and works for adults as well.

If he were to wear it out (VERY unlikely!), they'll fix or replace it. We've had so many, and only one ever had a problem--a zipper after years and years of abuse, and they replaced it. :)