Menu

Another WRTR question- the order of the spelling rules

edeemarie

I have the fourth edition of WRTR. I was looking online for a list of the spelling rules to print out just to have as a reference so I don't have to flip pages so much. But did the rules change order in the newer editions? For example, the rule 9 in the fourth edition is "after c we use ei", but many of the printable editions of rules I see online have rule 9 as what my book has for rule 14 "the one-one-one rule". Did these change order? I was hoping to save some time and print it out instead of having to type it myself, but it looks like that might not work.

Also, how important are the newer phonograms? I only have up to 70 in my book, but should I make cards for the new ones?

Thanks for the help!

I am FAR from an expert on WRTR but I just looked it up, in my (6th) edition rule #9 is the one on one rule.

As for the phonograms WRTR still has just the 70 so you're good there for sure. I'm combining LoE with WRTR and using the LoE phonograms of which there are 74 (mostly because I feel the LoE phonograms make more sense and also so I can use the phonogram games from LoE).

I'm sure Ellie will be around and chime in with all the answers and explanations!

I have the fourth edition of WRTR. I was looking online for a list of the spelling rules to print out just to have as a reference so I don't have to flip pages so much. But did the rules change order in the newer editions? For example, the rule 9 in the fourth edition is "after c we use ei", but many of the printable editions of rules I see online have rule 9 as what my book has for rule 14 "the one-one-one rule". Did these change order? I was hoping to save some time and print it out instead of having to type it myself, but it looks like that might not work.

Also, how important are the newer phonograms? I only have up to 70 in my book, but should I make cards for the new ones?

Thanks for the help!

If you're using the fourth edition, don't worry about the newer phonograms. The ones in the fourth edition were fine for upwards of 50 years. They'll be fine for your dc. :-)

And if there are different rules now, don't worry about it. Use the rules in the manual you have.

And don't print out the rules. They're in the manual. Just put a flag on that page and call it a day. You're not going to be referring to all of them that often; the ones that are used frequently (such as Rule 4) you'll have memorized in no time once you start with the spelling words.

FTR, I don't know what the "one-one-one" rule is. :confused:

Thanks! I wonder why they changed the order of the rules? Hmm.

Another question if anyone can answer. Can you use WRTR with a child who isn't ready to write yet? My ds3 is learning to read and I would love to have him know all of the phonograms, but he isn't quite ready to write yet. I am trying to hold him off since I think I introduced handwriting too early with the others and they developed some bad habits-oops! I want him to do cursive first anyway because he is already showing signs of wanting things to look just right so I am hoping that may help him. Anyway, can I just teach him the phonograms and maybe do the spelling rules orally, or maybe have him watch me write the words? Has anyone tried it this way?

Also, does anyone use the Spell to Read and Write Spelling Rule Cards with WRTR and do you find them helpful? I am thinking of trying to create my own since we already know the style of cards used in AAS.

Ok, one more question:) If I used R&S spelling with WRTR would it be overkill? I was just thinking maybe it would be a good way to practice the spelling rules. Thanks!

If you're using the fourth edition, don't worry about the newer phonograms. The ones in the fourth edition were fine for upwards of 50 years. They'll be fine for your dc. :-)

And if there are different rules now, don't worry about it. Use the rules in the manual you have.

And don't print out the rules. They're in the manual. Just put a flag on that page and call it a day. You're not going to be referring to all of them that often; the ones that are used frequently (such as Rule 4) you'll have memorized in no time once you start with the spelling words.

FTR, I don't know what the "one-one-one" rule is. :confused:

Thanks, Ellie! I think the one-one-one rule maybe got it's name from AAS (a word with one syllable, one consonant, and one vowel needs the consonant doubled before adding a vowel suffix).

Thanks, Ellie! I think the one-one-one rule maybe got it's name from AAS (a word with one syllable, one consonant, and one vowel needs the consonant doubled before adding a vowel suffix).

It's called 1-1-1 in SWR too.

Thanks! I wonder why they changed the order of the rules? Hmm.

Another question if anyone can answer. Can you use WRTR with a child who isn't ready to write yet? My ds3 is learning to read and I would love to have him know all of the phonograms, but he isn't quite ready to write yet. I am trying to hold him off since I think I introduced handwriting too early with the others and they developed some bad habits-oops! I want him to do cursive first anyway because he is already showing signs of wanting things to look just right so I am hoping that may help him. Anyway, can I just teach him the phonograms and maybe do the spelling rules orally, or maybe have him watch me write the words? Has anyone tried it this way?

I wouldn't worry about spelling rules or lists for a 3yo. I would (and do) work on learning the phonograms and writing with gross motor movements. There are a lot of fun activities for preschoolers that get them ready to write and learn those phonograms. My favorites are sidewalk chalk, shaving cream writing, and a salt box.