Menu

Need help on using Rosetta Stone!!

I have been trying for years to make this work in our homeschool! We just can't seem to be successful with it. The kids complain that the lessons take too long. Most importantly it seems when I read thru the manual and try to set up a schedule, I don't feel like I have a handle on it. I was really hoping this would be a program that my kids could use and be successful with even tho I don't speak the language.

Anyone who uses this and can give me some concrete ideas and ways to make this work??? I would be so thankful!!

deb :-)

If you have an older version, the directions for setting up the Student Management System is confusing. The company can walk you though it. In my case they actually sent me the updated version for free (we bought new from the company 5-6yrs ago) I used the company to set up the program in the beginning and then again 2 years ago when we had to purchase a new computer and start in the middle of the program - couldn't figure out how to schedule it. The company was very helpful. As to scheduling, with the student management system it should all be done for you. Yes the lesson can take long - it typically took my children an hour to do one section and about 4 days to do a complete lesson. Also remember that one level is designed to be taught over 2 years. I think it was 8 units a year and about 11-12 lessons per unit, if I'm remembering correctly.

We don't do anything complicated. We do one exercise a day, and the exercises we do are exercises A1, A2, and E3. On E3, I don't make ds do every single sentence, either; just one sentence for each 4-picture set. So each lesson takes us 3 days. An optional activity in each lesson is Preview. We only do Preview if ds seems to need a preview. Otherwise we start out with A1.

I hope that helps you. I may be missing something in your question because there's nothing complicated in my understanding of Rosetta Stone.

If you have an older version, the directions for setting up the Student Management System is confusing. The company can walk you though it. In my case they actually sent me the updated version for free (we bought new from the company 5-6yrs ago) I used the company to set up the program in the beginning and then again 2 years ago when we had to purchase a new computer and start in the middle of the program - couldn't figure out how to schedule it. The company was very helpful. As to scheduling, with the student management system it should all be done for you. Yes the lesson can take long - it typically took my children an hour to do one section and about 4 days to do a complete lesson. Also remember that one level is designed to be taught over 2 years. I think it was 8 units a year and about 11-12 lessons per unit, if I'm remembering correctly.

I'll agree with this - we have an older version and finally got around to setting up the Student Management System last year, but it was really confusing to me and took awhile to get it set up (dh was on the phone with the company, too). But it does work well and keeps track of how the kids are doing, and has worked out much better than just letting them work on their own with the CD.