Menu

Which ETC book do I start with...

Well...I would start with Explode the Code book 1. This is what I did with both my kids even though their reading level was a tad above that at the time. Spelling tends to be a tad behind where the child is at in reading level. Plus it just gives them writing practice. At that age I think you are better off giving them something that will be slightly easy for them. That will build their confidence. She may go through it very quickly but that's ok. The books are cheap. just my two cents

I would agree. At that age, being able to breeze through pages can be a good thing. It gives them a sense of accomplishment. When my ds was doing book one, he loved running to me saying "I'm on page __!! I did __ pages!" (That said, however, he did hit a bit of a frustration wall when he got to the point where he could not fly through anymore. But he still likes the books.) My advice would still be to start in book 1. It kind of lays the foundation and eases them into the format of the books.

HTH,

Thank you so much!

How many books did your kids get through in first grade? I've heard something about skipping book 4? Did you do that?

And Deborah, we're (almost) neighbors. I'm in College Park, and actually headed out to Falls Church tonight for a conference.

Hey there, neighbor! :) We were almost Marylanders (is that a word?? lol) -- we looked a lot in MD when we moved here last year.

I forget how many books my dd did in 1st grade (my ds is in book 2 now) but I know we went up through book 6 or 7, I believe (I think the series goes up to 8 but I didn't feel she needed them anymore.) We did the books in order, including 4, just not the 1/2 books. She is almost 8 now and flying through books now, reading the likes of Harry Potter, so it must have worked. :D I also used OPGTR, but started half-way through beause the beginning was too easy for her. I am doing the same with my ds.

Good luck! Let me know if I you have any other questions -- I can try to answer! :)