Menu

Athletic kids, clueless parent

My kids are very athletic and I have never been. I didn't participate in any sports growing up and our family was very inactive. I am wondering how to support my kids that are more interested in athletics.

For example, I played catch with ds the other day, but we were catching almost every ball. Is that right? Should we have been further apart? (Did I mention I am clueless? :lol:). We were throwing underhand. Should we be throwing some other way?

I feel like we are so lucky to homeschool and have time to do active things as a family, but I don't really know what to do. :blushing: For example, if we were to go to a park to throw a football around, I wouldn't know how to throw it. Should I even be trying? The kids do take classes in different sports occasionally and I'm hoping a PE class will get enough people in our area to start. Is there anything else I should be doing to support my athletic kids?

For example, I played catch with ds the other day, but we were catching almost every ball. Is that right? Should we have been further apart? (Did I mention I am clueless? :lol:). We were throwing underhand. Should we be throwing some other way?

Just go with your instincts. After a few minutes of success, just say what you thought. "Hey, let's try this further apart and see how we do!" And then, "How do you feel about trying to throw overhand?" My dh is not well-versed in baseball at all, but that's what he does with my baseball-inclined child. He just does it, and they are happy together. (I am the one charged with explaining all the rules of the game). And, there's nothing that says you can't make up crazy rules and ideas as a game either, like silly spins or jumps before throwing and such. That way, no one observing can evaluate your relative merits as an athlete because they won't exactly know on what criteria to judge. ;)

I think you are doing great! Don't worry about form at this point. Just playing catch will help with their eye-hand coordination. If they end up playing baseball, football, etc., a coach can teach them the correct way to throw. Or if you have a neighbor or friend who has experience, maybe ask them for a quick lesson on how to throw. For now, just have fun! :001_smile:

Oh something else. Get a decent jump rope for the kids. It's another way to build timing and coordination, and kids have a blast with it. In a couple years, you can go "old school" with a clothes line and teach them things like double-dutch. ;)

Good footwork is key in so many sports. :)

Oh something else. Get a decent jump rope for the kids. It's another way to build timing and coordination, and kids have a blast with it. In a couple years, you can go "old school" with a clothes line and teach them things like double-dutch. ;)

Good footwork is key in so many sports. :)

Oh, that is a good idea! Dd does jump rope in gymnastics but she doesn't really know how to do it. She has a jump rope at home, but never uses it. I'll add that to our P.E. plan for the fall!

Thanks for everyone's advice so far. I guess I just feel like the kids are at a disadvantage not coming from a naturally athletic home. I don't know what an athletic home looks like on a day-to-day basis. So I'm hoping I can accomodate their active tendencies. (At least they see curling up with a good book being modelled each day! :lol:)