Menu

Anyone use Flip flop Spanish?

Samiam

I have flipflop, and, as a book, it seems to cover all the basics.

Beware of the ratings on Amazon, however, as many of those ranking Ms. Gose's program seem to be from her classes. Using the book during a preschool Spanish class with group activities run by another adult are different from going it alone.

Reasons we failed at FlipFlop:

1) I had hoped to do FlipFlop Spanish (age 3-5/Level 1) with dd5 last year when she was 4.5 years old. I questioned if she could do the amount of required writing for the book. A 7yo would have no trouble at all, but I struggle with "the right amount of writing for a Ker."

(As I check the book now, we got through 3 pages, and I did 2/3 of the writing).

2) When I attempted FlipFlop Spanish, dd5 was not as strong of a reader as she is now. Reading in a foreign language was more than was reasonable to expect from her.

3) So to compensate, I planned to create a lot of extra games and activities for Spanish that would be verbal only. But those take time, so it never happened.

Your situation will be different. Your children are older and more capable of reading and writing.

I DO recommend that if you go with this program that you purchase the flashcard sets, or possibly 2 flashcard sets. You could use them to play memory or other games.

--------------------------------------------------------

I also have a lot of Spanish ideas listed in this thread below. My post is #5.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=410173&highlight=spanish

• 8 months later...

We use it and it is working for us. We got the 'whole family' version, See and Say It Flip Flop Spanish. It came with a manual, 4 CDs, and 3 sets of flash cards. It has 45 lessons that can be spread out for a 2-year program. It does not require any writing for the younger ages. The older kids have minimal writing (the week's words and some sentences using the words).

We are only on lesson 10 and my kids are already using the sentences and words they have learned throughtout the day. It only takes a few minutes a day. It is one of the subjects the kids really look forward to. It gets done, which is the biggest plus. We started the year with latin and it was a chore! This is not. The kids even want to continue doing it during the summer.

My only problems is that I don't know what to do after we complete the program. -lu