Menu

Piano help?

I have taken my kids out of lessons for now and have been home teaching them.

My eight year old has an excellent ear and can hear something a few times and then sits and works it out until she can play the melody line. For example, she can play by ear things like Amazing Grace.

Both my eight year old and five year old can read music and comfortably play with practice things written from middle C to about an octive in either direction. The eight year old can handle sharps and flats, the five year old isn't there yet.

We also play a game (well, I call it a game) where I call out a note and either voice or piano. If I say piano they take turns running to play the note in question, if it's voice I have them sing the tone on pitch with the note name.

I have a new baby coming soon. I have so far been writing all the exercises and music by hand. It's a little time consuming. :tongue_smilie:

Is there a series I can go to from here? Primarily for my eight year old? She's an excellent reader, so something with a written component is fine.

Ideally, I'd like something to continue theory, reading written notes and working on sight reading proficiency, and continuing to expand her playing by ear repertoire.

She happily plays for an hour plus in a sitting, including working on repetitive exercises.

I don't want something I have to do out of the home lessons for right now, I think the commitment may be too much. I think that rules out Suzuki since I am not a trained Suzuki teacher.

Any ideas?

:bigear:

We're on our second piano teacher and both have used the Faber series (link below). I am also a pianist, perfectly capable of teaching them (but don't want to ... homeschool is enough), and prefer the Faber books over the Alfred series other people might recommend. Faber seems more rigorous. I'd also add scales and chords.

http://pianoadventures.com/

We're on our second piano teacher and both have used the Faber series (link below). I am also a pianist, perfectly capable of teaching them (but don't want to ... homeschool is enough), and prefer the Faber books over the Alfred series other people might recommend. Faber seems more rigorous. I'd also add scales and chords.

http://pianoadventures.com/

Any idea on where to place in the series?

I don't know, sorry! Sharps and flats are introduced in Level 2, but the notes in the songs also occasionally go above and below where you say your kids are at ... Perhaps your best bet is to order them online through amazon.com and return them if they look too easy and try the next level. Or get them used. Each level has a core group of 4 books - Technique, Lesson, Theory and Performance. They cover everything from dynamics to technique (floating wrists, etc.) ... you really just need to be able to look at the books and see where she's at compared to them. Do you have a music store within driving distance? Any place that sells pianos would have these books. Or check the library?