Menu

I need an extra 20 hours a day!

I'm looking at my fall schedule and it makes me want to take a nap. I have one who will be a senior in PS and I'm thinking about senior pictures, SATs, college applications, sports schedules, band concerts, proms and all the other things that happen in the senior year. I'm also adding a K student to my homeschool this year who went to a church preschool last year, so I'll have another child at home all day.

The worst part is that I have such high goals for my homeschool. I'm thinking we need more field trips! We need to add foreign language, typing, and PE! We didn't do much music last year! Oh, and I need to be better about a housekeeping schedule and meal planning, but first I need to do a whole house declutter! I can't forget the Scout Pack that I lead and my daughter's dance schedule. I need 9 hours of sleep each night too. These are all the thoughts going through my head, so you can see why I'm feeling overwhelmed. I know I need to let some of my expectations go, but I tend to be a frustrated perfectionist. Can't I just have more hours in the day?:tongue_smilie:

:grouphug:

You sound almost like me!

I did come across an idea that sometimes gives me some relief. I decided I can have more hours a day if I split the hours up differently. (For example, if I split the day into 48 hours, I'd just have shorter periods--30 minutes to the rest of the world). I know it sounds ridiculous, but some days it actually works (maybe it's the lack of sleep that makes me idiotic enough to fall for it, LOL). I've actually never split it down to 30 minutes; but it helped me see that I didn't need to spend a WHOLE hour on some things, 50 or 45 minutes might be sufficient and then I can get a little thing done in that extra time (often it's the travel time that I neglect to budget, :tongue_smilie:). I can never skimp on sleep, though I've figured out that if I go to bed a little earlier (around 10 instead of 11), I can get away with 8 1/2 instead of 9 hours of sleep.

Hang in there!

Elaine