Menu

Is anyone from DFW and used Scottish Rite?

My dd, 6 (almost 7) has shown signs of dysgraphia/dyslexia for several years now, but only in this past year have I become convinced that it is more than a developmental issue. Her letter and number reversals are becoming WORSE as she gets older despite daily practice in reading and writing, along with other concerning "symptoms". Anyway, I feel blessed to be here in Texas where we have Scottish Rite Hospital that has a free evaluation and intervention center for dyslexia. I have applied and my daughter was accepted, but is on the evaluation waiting list. Hopefully we will hear from them by the end of August. I was hoping someone here might have some experience with Scottish Rite's Center for Dyslexia and could share their experience. I have only one IRL friend who has been through the process, but it was over 10 years ago and apparently they did not offer much intervention at the time.

We did not go thru their process, but we did use a tutor trained thru their clinics and officially certified as one of their tutors. I was incredibly impressed with their Take Flight Program. For us it was a terrific program. We chose this tutor over a Barton tutor because we were promised results in 2 years rather than 4.

My brother went through the process in DFW, but that was about 35 years ago. It did help.

I looked into it for my youngest, but the waiting list where we live was 2 years. If we had still lived in Dallas at that point (had just moved the year before), she could have gotten help through Scottish Rite within 6 months. I ended up being able to remediate her myself, although I did use a tutor to help me figure out my plan for what to do with my dd.

Hi,

My daughter went through the program 3 or 4 years ago, when she was 11. It is a fabulous program. She's now a strong reader! More importantly, she loves, loves, loves to read! I remember the first time I told her to get her nose out of a book. As soon as the words came out of my mouth, I started crying. For so long, she couldn't read without tears. My now 15 year old sweetie is coordinating a book club this coming school year for Virtual Homeschool Co-op. I can't say enough good things about their work. I hope it will as helpful for your daughter!