Menu

Grammar/spelling help

I'm trying to help out a friend. Her 17 year old son is extremely behind, and she is trying to find a way to get him graduated within 2 years. He does have a disability with his writing, although I'm not sure what the exact diagnosis is. I've seen his handwriting, and it is about on a 7 year old level. It is something we are going to have to work around.

What we need to do is get his spelling and grammar up to par. He can do his work on the computer. He is not, however, very motivated. Is there a program that is inexpensive (they do not have extra $$ at all) and can be implemented on the computer?

One place you could start are the Diana Hansbury King Writing Skills books. Her original book was return for older learners, and she has examples of their writing throughout the book.

I would just do all the work on the computer. I would also add additional sentence/ paragraph work to each section as I think this is not enough practice.

I think if an individual were regularly writing and using spell check, a fraction of the spelling may improve. (This was my experience with my ds, although he was also remediated for dyslexia, which I am sure also helped with spelling).

Two spelling programs might be Megawords or Sequential Spelling. (Both of which I previewed but never used). On the Sequential Spelling video, the author is working with an older child.

We love All About Spelling and Winston Grammar here. This year I am adding in the Easy Grammar and Daily Grams workpages as well for some extra practice. If he is really struggling, I would likely start at the beginning and move as fast as he can.

The Logic of English essentials program can be completed in about 8-16 weeks. It includes spelling, and basic grammar and composition, but it is a bit pricey.

All-in-One English Series teaches all eight parts of speech some punctuation and capitalization. It's about $12. Also, applications of grammar is about $20 for the set.

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions for a computer program. I suggest he learn how to type if he doesn't already. Most written programs can be adjusted so that he can type out his answers. Also, has she ever tried letting him use a dry erase board and markers for his written work?

hth!

BTW- loved your God-smacked story. It is beautiful!

Edited by MyLittleBears