Menu

Kindergarten overseas, few resources

Giraffe

Hey,

I've always envisioned our homeschooling journey as more of an afterschool thing, but not like this. We are currently in Turkey immersing DD in her daddy's language and culture. We've been here three months and DD is s.l.o.w.l.y starting to acquire the language. DH and I have discussed it and are planning on DD and I staying here in Turkey until the new year. This would allow us to put DD in Turkish kindergarten for the first half of the school year to further her language immersion (I'd like to stay the whole year, but I don't think that will work). I would afterschool her in English alphabet, numbers, counting, reading. The thing is, we don't have many resources here. There's no English language library. I have about 10 children's books in English, a Kindle, and the internet. I also have the Lauri lowercase alphabet and a counting package from Lauri that uses pegs, numbers, and foam pads to teach numbers.

DD sort of knows her letters but can't really count. She counts better in Turkish, actually.

If you were me, where would you start? How would you do this? I don't want her to be behind when we return to the US in January. I was going to work through OPGTR with her when we returned to the US at the end of summer, but it's sitting on my bookshelf there, not here. I'm nervous - I'd always thought I would supplement outside Kindergarten and use OPGTR to teach DD, not do it on my own.

Advice?

MEP math is free online. You could work through Reception quickly, then start year 1 when she's ready.

Don Potter has free reading resources, including Blend Phonics. I See Sam readers are great too, and the first 52 are free online. You could also have her do starfall.

Maybe check out vintage children's books? I'm sure you could get plenty on your kindle.

Don't freak out. It's hard to get â€behind†in Kindergarten. Even in a school, not every kid starts reading in K. And if you wanted to put her in school in the US, you could put her in K next year if you thought that was best. Red shirting is very common in the US.

If you were me, where would you start? How would you do this? I don't want her to be behind when we return to the US in January.

I do not think one can be "behind" in kindergarten. in many countries, formal academics do not start until age 6 or 7, and at age 10 there is no measurable difference to kids who started formal academics early.

If I were you, I would focus on her Turkish immersion and use the time to acquire as high a degree of fluency as possible. I would speak English at home, so the child is fluent orally, but would not worry about reading/writing/numbers; once she has learned to read in one language, the skills transfer easily to a different language, and she will be able to read English with little additional effort if she speaks it.

If she learns numbers in Turkish and learns to count, again, picking this up in English is going to be very easy. I would not worry about a lack of formal teaching materials for such a short time and such a young child.