Menu

SAT writing multiple choice - sample question - need help

I am stumped on this SAT practice question, can someone explain it to me?

14. Nicknamed the supergrain of the future, quinoa is a complete protein, one that contains all the necessary amino acids and is high in fiber.

(a) protein, one that contains all the necessary amino acids and is

(b) protein, it contains all the necessary amino acids and is

© protein, and containing all the necessary amino acids in addition to being

(d) protein that contained all the necessary amino acids and also is

(e) protein; thus, containing all the necessary amino acids and being also

Here's how we worked through the question:

(e) "thus" doesn't work and the semicolon is wrong because it isn't followed by a complete clause.

(d) tense problem - "contained" is past tense, "is" is present

© "is" and "containing" are not parallel. The comma is not needed.

(b) a semicolon should be used in a compound sentence without a conjunction

(a) This is the correct answer but it seems wrong to me. Isn't "one that contains all the necessary amino acids" a nonessential modifier? If so, it should be set off by commas... one before AND after. Right? The only way I could consider (a) correct would be to assume that containing fiber is part of the description of a complete protein and, therefore, part of the nonessential modifier.

Can someone explain this to me?

Thanks,

Tracie

The only way I could consider (a) correct would be to assume that containing fiber is part of the description of a complete protein and, therefore, part of the nonessential modifier.

Thanks,

Tracie

:iagree: and is higher in fiber...... that is NOT part of the definition of a complete protein.

Well, I asked my history major son, and he said, "First of all, I object to the characterization of quinoa as a supergrain of the future, because it is an ancient grain."

Personally, I think they all stink. Was this a blue book question, or another review guide?

It's a blue book question.

(a) This is the correct answer but it seems wrong to me. Isn't "one that contains all the necessary amino acids" a nonessential modifier? If so, it should be set off by commas... one before AND after. Right? The only way I could consider (a) correct would be to assume that containing fiber is part of the description of a complete protein and, therefore, part of the nonessential modifier.

Thanks,

Tracie

(a) is right answer because the sentence is grammatically correct as written (and all of the other choices make it incorrect.) The modifier of "complete protein" is the entire phrase that follows it: "one that contains all the necessary amino acids and is high in fiber." It's properly set off by a comma, and followed by a period because that's the end of the sentence. (Whether or not they have their facts right about the definition of a complete protein I don't know, but as written, the sentence is saying a complete protein has both those components.)

What is likely throwing you off (and I believe this is intentional on the part of the SAT test designers) is the underlining, which tends to direct your attention to just the first part of the phrase, making it look like only the amino acid part is the modifier and there's something wrong with the rest of the sentence. Re-type the sentence without the underlining, then read or say it out loud to yourself and I'm sure you will recognize it's correct.

One more trick to watch out for on the SAT. :tongue_smilie:

[quote name=Musicmom;4133902Whether or not they have their facts right about the definition of a complete protein I don't know' date=' but as written, the sentence is saying a complete protein has both those components.)

:tongue_smilie:[/quote]

That is what threw me off. I knew that the definition of a complete protein was incorrect. Therefore, there should be a another comma. If the definition was correct, then it would make sense.