Menu

kid loves MindBenders-- what else is good for her?

Writerdaddy

My 8yo is doing mindbenders 2 and loving it, so I was wondering if other parents who have kids that loved mindbenders can recommend anything (cause maybe mine is similar).

I had two questions really:

1. Is there anything in particular from Critical Thinking Company that you recommend, not necessarily mindbenders, but that your mindbenderloving kid also loved? Like is Reading Detective fun for them? (seems standard Rcomp to me, though) Or is there any special appeal for their big full color LA and Math curriculum books (they also seem pretty standard to me).

2. Just anything in general that your mindbenderloving kid loved, from anywhere and anything.

thanks!

:bigear:

Games from Thinkfun. They own most of them and still play them as young teens. The favorite is River Crossing probably. They are played individually. Which is great too. Rainbow has most of them.

For our family Reading Detective/Science Detective were not hits. They are more comprehension based then logic based. IMO. They read a passage then answer detailed things about it and where exactly the answer was found. That is really all I can remember. Neither child would do them.

My dc's love math. SM with challenging word problems has been a huge favorite. LOF is great for them. I wish it had existed when they were younger!

I have never found a LA program that they love. We do SL because of the great books. Lots of books.

Edited by sawuk
add

The stuff from Prufrock Press is different, but also logic and a logic-minded kid would enjoy it. Logic Safari is all logic grid puzzles. Logic Countdown is a variety of things. They also have analogies books and mysteries books, though I haven't tried those.

Tin Man Press is another logic type book publisher. Their stuff is much weirder and more outside the box thinking.